Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Expanding my photographic education.

I see in black and white.

Expanding my photographic education.

Okay, so here's my deal. I'm now a stay at home mom. I like this arrangement. I love being a mom. I never miss anything. I'm getting a whole other education I never thought I really needed, but now realize is the most important of my life. Photography has been taking a back seat to this for the past 5 months. I think it's time, finally, to continue with my photography.

I've decided to try large format, as many people know. Lots of people have been helpful along the way and I'm very thankful. Without the people here I'd never have come this far. I've shot one camera (a Crown Graphic borrowed to me by Wayne Crider) and am purchasing a Graphic View from another Apugger.

One thing I've decided after having my baby is that things are not really worth doing by halves. I'm sick of just doing this in a casual way and I'm ready now to make the commitment to move my photography into the realm of the serious. I'm a 'go with your gut' type of person. This is what my gut is telling me. I'm ready to finally match my technical knowledge to my artistic vision. In order to do so, I need help furthering my education.

With a baby, though, things get interesting. I can't just enroll in college. I'm really left with only one alternative: self-education. I'm up to the task, but I'm not sure where to start.

I need books and online references that will help me along the journey. I have The Negative, The Print, and a couple other Ansel Adams gems to get me started. I'd love some books or websites on figure study, painting with light, and portraiture in particular. I'm also wanting to learn more about lenses for large format, as in what types will give me what looks and whatnot.

But anyway, thank you for reading this. And not thinking I'm crazy.

Re: Expanding my photographic education.

Stephanie, congratulations for following your instincts, they never fail.
    My most important source of learning has been books.
    I would recommend you to go to a library and explore what has been done in photography, what are the possibilities of the medium.
    Portraiture: Sanders, Avedon, Penn, Arnold Newman, Diane Arbus, Weston etc.
    The internet is good, but there is something in a book that the WEb will never be able to give you.
    I also find a lot of inspiration in other visual Arts like painting and sculptures.
    Your guts will probably be your most valuable tool, but without a foundation things are difficult.
    The 3 Adams books you mention are very good.
    Resources like this site are important, aside of the recurrent diatribe.
    I wish you an exciting journey,
    Domenico

When I was in a very similar situation I learned all the technical stuff right here at LF.info. Likewise the general characteristics of lenses. It's even easier now that there are far more pictures being posted. I would argue that this is a really good time to look at the inspiration behind your photography, not just learn the mechanics.

What I had when I was caring for our kids was plenty of time to look. It sounds simple, but in most people's lives there is very little time available to just sit still and look at things - other than the TV that is. Nursing*, pram-pushing, and anti-colic joggling all gave me lots of time for contemplation.

I also had time to think. Nappy brain and sleeplessness didn't help the hardcore intellectual side of mental activity, but that was an aspect I felt I needed to suppress anyway. Comparing what I liked to contemplate most with what was in my photographs, and in the photographs of others, was a hugh help in sorting out for myself where I wanted to go with my photography.

Finally, my kids loved just being pushed in the pram. So I walked a lot, and found both photographs and locations to come back to.

*Nursing: I am male, and am not a medical marvel, but with the twins we would tag-team between bottle and breast until the Milche-Kuhe had ramped up to full production. After that, I was the loader/burper :-)

Magazines are a good source for information too. View Camera would be tops for large format and Lenswork for inspiration for example. Here is a good link to access information about large format photography:http://www.f32.net/links.html
    Last edited by Greg Lockrey; 30-Apr-2008 at 02:18.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Books and magazines are good for inspiration.

Try to nab a copy of Graflex Photography---invaluable IMHO if you're shooting a Graphic and usually less than $1 when they turn up at thrift stores.

Self assignments are excellent---when you come to a problem you don't know how to deal with check the archives here, or at apug, or graflex.org and then ask questions.

Make lots of photos. Have fun!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Stephanie
    Bruce Barlow has written a very nice book on CD that covers many of the large format subjects. You can find it at http://circleofthesunproductions.com/. One of the best features of the book are the exercises. This is a excellent and easy to understand book. Good for beginning and experienced LF photographers.

Books that helped me, and that I still consult, include Perception and Imaging by Richard Zakia, Light Science & Magic by Fil Hunter and Paul Fuqua, and Vision and Art: The Biology of Seeing by Margaret Livingstone. All three are excellent in their way.

The Zakia book, while not solely about photography, tells you what kinds of shapes and compositions we humans are drawn to. The Hunter and Fuqua book explains how light works, particularly how it reflects and transmits and how to use the angles to your advantage. This book, while aimed at the studio, has been very helpful to me with my natural light landscape work. The Livingstone book tells you how the human visual system works so that you know why we are drawn to some of the shapes and compositions we are drawn to. This book is more generally about painting and hardly mentions photography, but it applies just the same.

These books will help you master the craft side -- improve your competence. To improve the art side, to improve your fluency with photography, spend as much time as you can in galleries and museums looking at art. Books of monographs help too. Photography in particular, but all art, from painting to sculpture to architecture. Learn from other artists, old masters to young upstarts.

But perhaps the most important thing you can do is burn as much film as you can. Photograph something every day if possible. In particular, those scenes that make you wonder whether you can capture what you see in your head or not, spend time with those. You'll be surprised how a challenge like that will make you a better photographer.

Bruce Watson

I think that what helped me the most has been looking at the widest possible variety of photographs. Magazines, yes, but I feel the most help has come from going to more shows and exhibitions. There's still nothing like looking at the original print (well, at least for what I'm interested in.) Magazines such as Lenswork (fabulous quality reproductions, interesting commentary,) and B&W (very wide range of photographs in each issue) have been the most help next to exhibits at local colleges and museums.

Technically, Steve Simmons' book on large format was the most helpful for me in the mechanics of using the camera, particularly the effects of the different movements. I haven't encountered a really, really good book on printing; perhaps I'm just not wired to learn that particular topic that way. Time spent in the darkroom (and going through a lot of paper,) has been my teacher there although I really wish I could afford one of the really great printing workshops some day.

Good luck and keep plugging away at it!

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

The intro to LF books I usually recommend are

Jim Stone's User's Guide to the View Camera
    my book Using the View Camera
    Jack Dykinga's book Large Format Nature Photography

also

www.viewcamera.com

and then go to the Free Articles section. There are several there that might be helpful.

When your child is asleep and you have nothing else to do just take your camera out to the back yard and practice setting up shots. Even if you do not expose any film this will be good practice.

good luck

steve simmons

Abuser of God's Sunlight

What everyone else said. And if there's any way you can, get a mentor. Someone who you think is great, who knows how to teach, and who wants to nurture your work.

Easier said than done, but the internet means the person doesn't need to be anywhere near you. You can send notes and pictures anywhere.

I think of the French writer, Guy de Maupassant, who apprenticed for years under Flaubert, sending stories through the mail. When he finally felt ready, he published his first story and was instantly seen as a master. Not that this is the usual experience, but personal attention helps!

Another possibility is a group of other photographers (or artists in other media). A monthly potluck dinner followed by a roundtable critique can work magic. I've been a member of a couple of salons that did this; the food and friendship were as valuable as the motivation and feedback.