Thread: LF class in NYC

Question LF class in NYC

Hello everyone,

I'm just dipping my toes into LF photography and was wondering if anyone knew of classes or weekend workshops that are offered in NYC.

I've already checked ICP but am unable to take that class as its during the day while I'm at work.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
    Randhir

Re: LF class in NYC

Check out continuing education classes in School of Visual Arts (SVA), Parsons, and Cooper Union.

Not exactly a "class" or "workshop" per se, but I'd highly encourage you to join us on a Large Format outing in NYC. We do them fairly frequently, and you get a chance to see a lot of different equipment, ask tons of questions, perhaps even shoot some film all for free. We had one such person on our February outing in 2007 and the guy had a blast!

If you do ever find an evening class at ICP, I have to say their classes are excellent......

--Alec

thanks for the great responses.

I have done 2 classes at ICP and agree that they are excellent. Unfortunately, the LF class is during the day and I cant skip out of work for that. SVA also has a class but that too is during the day. I was hoping to find a workshop that is held over a weekend and perhaps the LF outing is a good idea.

To help speed the learning process along, I have bought Simmons book and am planning to rent a 4x5 for a weekend or something to play around with. I have a bad (or good depending on your view) habit of buying camera equipment frequently, playing around with it for a couple of months, and then not picking it up again. I have a Mamiya 645 and a Leica M7 that are currently gathering dust. Hoping not to repeat that with LF!

i recalled SVA has a weekend class on large format last year. you can check their schedule.