Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 5x8 format

Re: 5x8 format

Four 5x8 shots with one 8x10 holder is done with splitters in the camera back.The splitter creates a 5x8 opening on half the film. By moving the splitter and rotating the back you can expose the other half of the film.You end up with two 8x10 sheets with 2images on each sheet.

I tried that a while back, but ended up making double exposures by accident.

I confess: I am... "challenged".

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    I tried that a while back, but ended up making double exposures by accident.

I confess: I am... "challenged".
    Nothing to boast about, I managed to make a double exposure even with a non split film holder...

That is precisely my fear - taking double exposures, forgetting what was shot and what not. In some thinks I'm precise, but here I think I'd be too chaotic. So I opted for 5x8 instead...

Jiri
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

@ Google+ | @ Facebook | @ flickr

My books @ Blurb (only heavily outdated "Serene Landscape").

Jiri - If you ever get tired of that 5x8 camera, let me know.

Ken, when I was "window-shopping" for my new LF camera, either 5x7 or 5x8, I justified the expense (too high) that it is my last camera Only under such assumption could I buy the Chamonix 5x8. (even though deep inside I must have known it's not true ). So I really have to use this camera for some time. Even if I did not tell my wife (a bad idea, she has keen eyes on my equipment), I have to keep my word with me. At least for a while.

(the Chamonix 5x8 is actually only my second factory-new camera ever. The other being a digital Minolta A200. All the rest are second-hands. And since my self-promise, I have already bought a Graflex Super D 3x4, which arrived today)

But Ken, I'll keep it in mind

Jiri
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

@ Google+ | @ Facebook | @ flickr

My books @ Blurb (only heavily outdated "Serene Landscape").

Is there a way I could build a mask which would allow me to use my 5x7 camera and holders, but automatically crop everything ?

The mask would have to sit behind the rear of the bellows, and in front of the film holder.

You'd get a fairly soft (and possibly wide) penumbra unless the mask was right at the film plane. Cutting a big u shaped notch in a extra darkslide works very well for the relative effort. I did this for 4x5 and made corresponding marks on the ground glass. I made separate ones for the golden ratio and one for 2.4:1, etc...

I have a hard time simply cropping to these formats for whatever reason!

That makes good sense: the mask has to be right up against the film, or not at all. Thanks !

I had become so used to seeing and feeling in 4x5, that even 5x7 required adjustment at first. To get acquainted with 1:1.618, I have carried around a viewing rectangle in that format for a while. It's good to start over again, as a beginner. I have also gone over some of my older images, and experimented with cropping them in the new format. Sometimes, the new image is an improvement...

Perhaps another musical analogy is appropriate. Each format is like a key signature in music. Each has its own subtle feeling. That's why you hear that a particular piece is written in A Minor, or C Major, etc. In European music, there are 12 modes, each with its own name in Greek, and each with its own sensibility or "color", like the Blues. In Indian music, there are countless Ragas, each with its own Rasa or "taste". Given that musical notes and colors are all just numbers in relationship - or ratio - to one another, it's no surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    4 shots with 2 (?) 8x10 film holders? or 4 shots on one 8x10 holder? What's your question?
    Make your maths...
    Sorry...meant 4 shots with 1 holder...4 entirely different shots with 1 8X10 holder.