Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap lens with huge coverage--does it exist?

Cheap lens with huge coverage--does it exist?

I recently got some big rolls of 5" wide aerial film in a package deal and was thinking about making a 5x24 camera from black foam core. Is there anything such as a cheap lens that would cover 5x24? Any focal length is fine, I don't need a shutter-and I don't expect wonderful optical quality. Is there some unloved dog of a process lens that might fit the bill? Is it possible to build a crude 2-element lens that would cover?

Re: Cheap lens with huge coverage--does it exist?

What's the IC over 600mm?

I once got a Brown 19" process lens for almost nothing. It's not long enough if you want to focus at infinity. But the thing is heavier then the anchor on your average cruise ship. I wonder if you could find a 24" focal length? Or go shorter and focus closer then infinity.

But these aren't the sort of lenses for light weight cameras.

Nothing wrong with the glass or the performance. IIRC the real maker was a large US firm with much sought after lenses.

Barry, your best bet for a low-cost lens with that kind of coverage probably lies in process lenses. Mostly in barrel, these lenses were used mostly by printers such as newspapers, etc., and are often now found at bargain prices. The process cameras they were used on were often real "beasts" that filled an 8' x 10' room and took 24" to 30" litho films.

You need a nominal IC of ~622mm. The recently discussed 21.25" Copying Ektanon might do it, and they’re cheap.

In the desert...

Pin hole lens would also be nice, 10 inch focal length should cover. I think the front lens from some binoculars would cover, single element.

Thanks Nick. Beggars can't be choosers, so a heavy lens would be ok. It's not like I plan to go hiking with this beast. Being able to focus at infinity would be nice, but if I could get close that would be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryS View Post
    I recently got some big rolls of 5" wide aerial film in a package deal and was thinking about making a 5x24 camera from black foam core.
    Are you sure not 5X14? I like to see you beat Jim's only 5X14 camera in the world.

Ok, thanks for the suggestions--it sounds like some of those process lenses would be perfect. Just have to snag a cheap one somewhere.

Songyun-- Hey, this will beat Jim's 5x14--at least by size. I'd definitely accept his Chamonix in exchange if he wants to "move up".

Quote Originally Posted by BarryS View Post

Songyun-- Hey, this will beat Jim's 5x14--at least by size. I'd definitely accept his Chamonix in exchange if he wants to "move up".
    5X24 is way too long for my taste. You must have your special project, please keep us updated with your project and don't forget show us the photos you take with this camera.

Zebra

Barry,

I have a Nikkor (750 Process lens) that I bought for my 20 x 24 that would cover that I paid 500$ for--I would let it go at some loss, how much we would have to discuss if you need one soon.

let me know. I'm not that hot to sell it so no worries if you aren't interested.

Good luck with however it pans out.

Monty