Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How often do you use graflocks?

How often do you use graflocks?

I just realized that I haven't use it for a long time. What is the benefit of having a graflock back besides the use of roll film back?

Re: How often do you use graflocks?

I use them for rollfilm backs and Grafmatics. When I'm shooting press-style with the rangefinder, I leave the groundglass at home and it takes a little weight off the camera, which I usually carry on a strap around my neck when I'm shooting that way.

I've also used the Graflarger back on my Tech V, before I found a 4x5" enlarger that fit in my space.

Three of my four LF cameras have Graflok backs. In the past three years, I think I have shot one roll of roll film using the Graflex 22 roll film holder. Other than that, I've never used the graflok backs. I honestly don't know why people think it's so important to have one.

Different strokes... I probably use a roll film holder half of the times that I go out. Not exclusively, but my roll film holder does get a lot of use.

How do those 6x17 backs fit the 4x5 cameras?

I use it for roll film holders. Both on 4x5 and 5x7

The prototype of Chamonix 045 N1 comes with a non graflock back. It changed to a graflock back because so many ppls want a graflock back. In my mind a non graflock back is a better choice, simply and mistake free.

The 6x17 backs for 4x5" cameras are expansion backs that use the Graflok attachment. They come with a groundglass viewer, since the film plane of the back is set back from the normal film plane. You focus and frame with the groundglass viewer, remove it, and put on the back to make the exposure.

It is also possible to use rangefinder focusing with the 6x17 backs, if the camera allows that, and you can use a 6x17 shoe-mount finder to frame. I can do this with my 150mm lens, DaYi 6x17 back, Tech V 4x5", and a Gaoersi adjustable finder.

Since Graflok backs offer more flexibility, they also can potentially increase the resale value of the camera.

Use mine often, mostly for a Linhof Super Rollex. This is an instant crop, and in a way easier than carrying yet another lens. The other benefit to me is using films like Kodak E200 or Fuji Provia 400X, which are not available in 4x5. I also have two different Instant film backs.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Also there is another adapter that connects digital camera via graflock backs. But that probably is more useful on monorails shooting macros.

I have two 4x5 cameras; one with a Graflock back and one with a spring back. Since I got a Calumet roll holder, I haven't ever felt the need to use the Graflock.

However, I refuse to use Grafmatic holders in my field camera because they are much thicker than the Calumet roll holder, and I think the Grafmatic might be too much for the spring back of the field camera.