Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: ULF Print Exchange!

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Re: ULF Print Exchange!

Sounds good to me.

That means I'll have to take a camera for a little walk soon - which I should do anyway.

So it will either be a 24x30cm contact print - except that that camera has a bellows which looks more like lace than leather - or a 12x16" contact print - except that even I can't carry that camera any distance.

Looks like it might be my friendly neighborhood waterfall, yet again - but in life size, this time!

tim810

I went for a walk this morning at a rail road museum with my 12x20

list so far:

Ole Tjugen
    Tim Trombley

too bad! i guess my "new to me" 7x11 cant get in. (funny, the camera is bigger than my 8x10 but the square inch is small! go figure)

i participated in the last exchange darr organized. i think you all should consider the option of sending different prints. why limit it to 6 of the same print. why not make it 6 prints? i sent out 9 different prints in the last exchange. it was fun. i sent some color prints (from a scan), some contact prints, some enlargements and some alt process stuff, and a pinhole enlargement. all from my LF shooting.

having said that i guess i could play cause i have ONE 11x14 neg.....so i guess i would only be able to send the same pic to everyone....HAR HAR HAR!

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Tim,
    Please count me in on the ULF print exchange. I would like to suggest that we send the same image to every participant.
    Best,
    Gary

I see in black and white.

Out of curiosity, not that I'd really participate if I could, but just in case...

Let's say I made an 11x14 pinhole camera. Let's say I used a paper negative and then contact printed said paper negative, or used the Efke direct positive paper. Would this be a legit print for this exchange?

tim810

Gary,

I agree with you on the each participant making prints of the same image for consistency and simplicity.

Stephanie,

That does constitute a 11x14 contact print. It sounds like an awesome idea. You should participate with said idea.

ULF print exchange participants:
    Eddie are you in with the 11x14??
    Gary Samson
    Ole Tjugen
    Tim Trombley

I see in black and white.

Lemme see what I can build first. I'm building darkroom walls and I know there's going to be leftover wood. We'll see what I can come up with.

tim810

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    Lemme see what I can build first. I'm building darkroom walls and I know there's going to be leftover wood. We'll see what I can come up with.

Great!!

Hmm, I had in mind something different. I wanted to do a print exchange solely based on original ALT process prints, possibly 5x7 and larger. Sure, they're harder to make and each particular print will be different from the next, but that's ALT Process for ya.

What would be particularly cool is to try to get a range from as many ALT processes as possible - one person for Cyanotype, another for Kallitype, another for Albumen, another for Van Dyke, etc. We'd have to rule out Platinum and Palladium unless we had a very VERY generous soul or two.

The thing is, ALT processes generally take a lot more effort than silver - and thus in a pure ALT process exchange, everyone would be rewarded with a unique print that likely took considerable time & trial to produce.

But I don't want to "compete" with this exchange, so I'll hold off for another time. Food for thought for those intrigued though!

Cheers!
    --A

i like alec's idea.

i am not sure i am in just yet.

while i only have one neg and can only print the same picture for everyone (unless i follow stephanie's idea) it sounds very boring! making the same exact print does not appeal to me.

i am interested in hearing from those who have the opposite opinion. why do they want to send the same print. it seems to me that each participant is only seeing one print from each member. so each person will never know how their prints from a given member compares to other prints from the same member. so in effect there is no consistancy because you are unable to compare prints from a given participant. you are judging the single print based solely on that one print. so if you sent different prints it is the same thing....you are still only judging one print. i do not understand the "simplicity" comment either....simple for whom? remember that your base of people that have ULF is fairly small....why limit it any farther than you have already with extra "rules"? (only my opinion.)

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery