Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Why we are the elite

Re: Why we are the elite

Hey Dan, don't take it personally. There are lots of old guys on here who just like to drift the postings a bit. Sort of a shame that someone new to large format is not more encouraged by those who have been at this for so long. To be fair, you could have chosen your words more carefully, though I understood your implied message in your initial posting. Hope you continue with large format, and keep coming back to this forum.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    Congratualtions on being able to make a perfectly acceptable print in 20 minutes. It takes people like John Sexton, Howard Bond, and Bruce Barnbaum many hours, sometimes days, to make a print that's acceptable to them. I fancied myself an excellent printer in my dark room days though not up to their standards and 20 minutes got me an acceptable proof, if I was lucky. You are indeed among the elite.
    I am saying that i am able to make a print in 20-30 minutes. NOT one that i would give/sell/donate/ PUT MY NAME ON!

i am just saying that because most people these days are using digital, they fight for computer space while i can pick and choose if i want enlarger room #1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,etc....

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Moat View Post
    Hey Dan, don't take it personally. There are lots of old guys on here who just like to drift the postings a bit. Sort of a shame that someone new to large format is not more encouraged by those who have been at this for so long. To be fair, you could have chosen your words more carefully, though I understood your implied message in your initial posting. Hope you continue with large format, and keep coming back to this forum.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography
    thanks, i think i've somehow committed a crime amongst some of the users on this place!

Hey Dan, Welcome to the forum. Don't take it personal. You didn't start a war, just a
    preemtive strike. lol. I'm one of those old guys who can't seem to get into digital. I don't have a digital camera. My daughter and grand-daughter each have one,and I play with them and have fun doing so. The tools we choose are only a means to create an image
    (end result) that hopefuly pleases us. Perhaps the word (elite) IMO,has a little sting to
    it. So choose your tools, and your words carefuly. If your LF camera attracts some young laides that's a real bonus. Stick with it and have fun.
    JOE A

Quote Originally Posted by David Luttmann View Post
    Oh brother. If this was about a race, the digital gearhead would win. I can snap a photo and have it printed in less time than you can get the film into a tank for processing.

Don't make this about speed as when we're using film, we definitely would lose against digitals speed!
    Yeah, especially with me on a "horse show weekend" and my 4 dye sublimation printers where we crank out about 800 @ 8x14"s.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Confidently Agnostic!

I know what you mean. I just got a Voigtlander 9x12 plate camera from the '20s (and I also have a 12"/21"/28" turner reich triple from the early 1900s), and my experience of them is very personal. I just love the mechanical elegance of these things.

Quote Originally Posted by aduncanson View Post
    I was just then dreaming about a 12" TR convertible that I had seen offered on eBay. I knew that there was no explaining this to her, and weeks later, I have yet to look up the Pale Male website.

Confidently Agnostic!

Heh. #1, the squealing tires sound like a post-production addition just judging from the speed he's taking some of the "tire-squealing corners" at (and I wouldn't be surprised if the engine was fake too). #2, the maximum speed is maybe 80 - 100 kilometers per hour judging from the other traffic - it's just a really low camera giving the impression of high speed.

Quote Originally Posted by domenico Foschi View Post
    Do you want to see an Italian show in Paris?
    A ferrari speeding in Paris.
    Wonderful, the soundtrack is the engine of the car.
    Breathtaking footage.
    http://www.dissonant.org.nyud.net:80...Rendezvous.mov

Confidently Agnostic!

Quote Originally Posted by dsimaging View Post
    thanks, i think i've somehow committed a crime amongst some of the users on this place!
    I think we're (they're?) just trying to get the point across that it's not all about camera elitism.

But hey; I understand your enthusiasm, and I get pretty excited about this stuff too. So just keep doing what you love doing.

Welcome to LFinfo BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by walter23 View Post
    Heh. #1, the squealing tires sound like a post-production addition just judging from the speed he's taking some of the "tire-squealing corners" at (and I wouldn't be surprised if the engine was fake too). #2, the maximum speed is maybe 80 - 100 kilometers per hour judging from the other traffic - it's just a really low camera giving the impression of high speed.
    sounds like you have it all figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by domenico Foschi View Post
    sounds like you have it all figured out.
    Yeah Domenico, I kept seeing that same VW getting passed by ....
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.