Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: suggestions for a newbie ...

suggestions for a newbie ...

I'm looking seriously at 4x5. I recently moved up to 6x6 from 35mm and digital, but believe 4x5 is more suited to what I'm looking at (landscape). I'm a professional newspaper photographer (for 25 years) and am looking for an escape from the news business by stepping back, and enjoying the craft of photography again.

I looked at the front page of this site and got some basic info, but it is rather dated, so want to get current ideas (prices, etc ...) on cameras. (I haven't even started thinking lenses.)

Anyway, I'm wanting a basic setup to get started with and am looking for suggestions. Inexpensive (seems like Cambo/Calumet are relatively inexpensive) but Toyo/Omega's aren't much different. Anything specific I should look for, stay away from?

Sorry for the total newb questions.

Re: suggestions for a newbie ...

In used equiptment I'd suggest a 4x5 monorail like the Calumet 400 series (an excellent place to start) as well as the Graphic View 2. The Crown Graphics are fun but have some limitations (OTOH they are hand holdable ) One of my favorite flat bed woodies is the Agfa Ansco Universal which will accept both 4x5 and 5x7 backs. For a classic clamshell style field camera you might find a used Tachihara within your price range.

But do yourself a big favor first---get a copy of Steve Simmons "Using The View Camera" before spending any money on gear. Really.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Dated? Some here are using 100 year old cameras -) Prices may have changed but the other info doesn't change very quickly.

Do you want a field camera or a monorail?

From the cameras you list it sounds like you are looking at monorails?

For one moment think lenses. Not so much actual lenses but focal lengths. Some cameras are better at extremes [wide or long] then others.

If it was me I'd be thinking about one of the lower priced field cameras. A 150mm lens. Easier to haul around then many monorails. Even new relatively not too expensive.

One great resource for equipment and reasonable prices is KEH.com. I have found their rating system to be very, very conservative since I have bought only 'bargain' level gear but found it all to be quite excellent in appearance and function.

I second the opinion on Steve's book. Kodak also had a small book called "Photography with Large Format Cameras" way back when. It is still totally relevant with tons of info. I've seen it on Amazon in the past.

Enjoy the ride. The big cameras are a hoot.

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Big Negs Rock!

Although I have my Sinar and all 3 format backs for it. When I'm shooting landscapes, I've been leaning to my Kodak 2D with the TR triple convertible (12-21-28") lens. It's lighter and there's something to be said about working with a camera almost 100 years old and a lens of a similar age. I only shoot B&W (although before I knew the lens' limitations I shot a color job for "The Secret Life of Plants" movie -- and the chromes were beautiful). But the 2D is 8x10 and you may not want to mess with it. The Sinar in 4x5 is very mobile. But there are a number of clam shell cameras that are more mobile and have many more movements than my 2D, but probably not as many as the Sinar. Look around. Try things out. Enjoy the hunt! That's part of the fun.
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

All answers above are right-on. I second the motion for Steve Simmon's book, and offer the following: Format? 4x5 is readily available in color. 5x7 is not, but is contact-printable. Lens coverage (image circle) is less expensive with 4x5 than 5x7, but if you buy lenses that cover 5x7 you could do 8x10 in many cases. A 5x7 camera is not nuch bigger than a 4x5. An 8x10 camera is much bigger/difficult to carry.

Field vs monorail? I prefer field for landscape myself. Much more portable and the rail does not get in the way of those wide angle shots. You can find old half-plate and old 5x7s cameras cheap, and the backs are easily made with parts and wood for 4x5, so you can a have double or triple format camera. My current user is an Asanuma King 1, a precursor to the Nagaoka, built in the 1930's in Japan, in half plate. I shoot 5x7 and 4x5 with it, had to build a tripod plate for it, and had new bellows made (which it really didn't need). Total cost: $140.00 for the camera, $105.00 for the bellows, the plate was free from scrap material at hand. On the other extreme, I am awaiting a new 4x5 Chamonix that cost close to $800.00 when I include shipping. You may have seen those in several posts in this and other websites - nice!

To show what my current old girl looks like, I am attaching it's portrait. It is a pleasure to use.

Thanks for the recommendations on my book. I also suggest looking at Jim Stone's User's Guide to the View Camera and Jack Dykinga's Large Format Nature Photography. I would like to add that there are several articles on the Free Articles page on the View Cameras web site that will be helpful

www.viewcamera.com

Before buying a camera body may I suggest thinking about

what range of lenses you want to use
    what subjects you are interested in photographing

answering, or at least thinking about, these questions will help you decide on what body will best suit your needs.

If you can make the trip to Ft. Collins for foto3 you will see many cameras, new and used, along with lenses, tripods, etc.

www.foto3-2008.com

Remember, the trade show is free.

good luck

steve simmons

Roughly what is your budget? I would suggest a field camera since you are interested in landscape. For field cameras the list on the front page of this site is pretty much up to date: Wista, Toyo, Phillips, Canham, Linhof are all good options.

Used lenses are much less expensive and there is a wide selection. For a particular used camera you may have to wait and watdh for it.

KEH Camera Brokers, Midwest Photo Exchange, Badger Graphics are good places for used, and new LF equipment.

From one newbie to another, the first camera you buy will most likely serve two important purposes - it will help you learn movements and it will help you realize the errors you are making in the process. Once you get both of those, you'll have a much better idea about your needs and requirements for your next camera.

So, I would suggest that you pick a cheap monorail camera such as a Calumet/Cambo or a Toyo. Models in very decent shape can be had for $200 or less.

As for the lens, I'd pick a modern, multicoated 210mm/5.6 lens from any of the major brands. There's plenty of them around in great shape and at very decent prices too. They are bright, have lots of coverage and are good enough to keep and use with the next camera. Or to put it in 35mm terms, these lenses are the proverbial 50mm/1.8 of the LF (although a bit longer).

Good luck and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    From one newbie to another, the first camera you buy will most likely serve two important purposes - it will help you learn movements and it will help you realize the errors you are making in the process. Once you get both of those, you'll have a much better idea about your needs and requirements for your next camera.

So, I would suggest that you pick a cheap monorail camera such as a Calumet/Cambo or a Toyo. Models in very decent shape can be had for $200 or less.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was thinking along the lines of the above quote - a relatively inexpensive setup to play with, get a feel for, and learn about the process. I also plan on picking up a book or two, thanks for the suggestions.