Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Lens Help Needed

Grego

First Lens Help Needed

I have a canham 4X5.

I wanted to buy the Schneider 110mm Super Symar as my first lens, but the price is more than I can afford now. What other lens rival this lens in quality? I'd like to stay in the 110-120 range, although I suppose 150mm would be acceptable.

Input appreciated. Thankee.

Grego

Re: First Lens Help Needed

There are other lenses of the same quality as the 110 ssxl. What sets the 110 ssxl apart is its huge image circle allowing lots of movement on 4x5, or allowing it to be used on a 5x7 or even just covering 8x10. Additionally, for such a large image circle it is fairly light weight. If you don't need the coverage go for a current Rodenstock or Schneider or Fuji.

Badger Graphics has the Fuji CMW 125 f5.6 new for $635.

See Kerry Thalmann's page for lens suggestions:

http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/lightwei.htm

The Rodenstock APO-Sironar-S 135mm/5.6 is a great lens, though slightly longer than you wanted. It has plenty of coverage for 4x5 and is very sharp and contrasty. Also light weight and less than 1/2 the cost of the 110mm Super Symar XL.

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

A second vote for the Rodenstock, I use a 135mm myself, although I am very much impressed with Fujinon lenses. I've never used the 125, but if I didn;t already own a 135mm, I would likely buy the 125 for myself, as I find that size fits a nice "niche" between the 90 and 150mm sizes.

joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

I have a pre-L Schneider 120/5.6 and it's great. It doesn't have the coverage of the 110 or the current 120 APO-Symmar-L, but I almost never run out of I.C. I got it before the Euro started making the Dollar its bitch, so if I were in the market now for a new 120/125, I'd be tempted to get the Fuji instead. The 120 APO-Symmar, L or earlier, is smaller than the Fuji and a lot smaller than the 110, if that matters.

Drew
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

It sounds as though you will eventually buy a 110 XL. If this is true I recommend the Rodenstock APO-Sironar-S 150mm - it has significantly more coverage than the 135mm and provides better spacing from the 110XL. (I use my 150mm two to three times more often than my 110mm.)

There are several options.

Fuji -W, -NW or CMW 125/5.6

There are some 120mm Schneider Symmar variants like the Symmar HM and APO Symmar.

There are 120mm f8 Super Angulon or Fuji SW or Nikkor SW lenses. These are wide angle lenses for up to 8X10, so they're going to be big on a 4X5 field camera.

There is a Rodenstock Grandagon 115mm also big and heavy.

I have a Fuji -NW 125/5.6 on my Tachihara and am happy with its performance. Its very small and light.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Even if I'm said to have just about everything, the only lens in the 110-120mm range I use regularly is a 120mm f:6.8 Angulon.

Well all right - I have a Meyer Weitwinkel-Aristostigmat 12cm barrel lens I use sometimes, and a 120mm Macro-Nikkor for macro photography.

But the 120mm Angulon is sharp enough for anything I've needed it for so far, and weights a fraction of a 110mm Super Symmar. I tend to bring it along just in case, even if I also bring a 90mm (f:8 Super Angulon, and a f:6.8 Angulon too) and a 135mm too (either a 5.6 Symmar, a 5.6 Fujinon W, or a 4.5 Eurynar).

Another advantage of the plain old Angulon is that it's so cheap (compared to most alternatives) that you can afford a second lens too!

Forget what you think you want and get a 210. It will be the most versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by John Berry View Post
    Forget what you think you want and get a 210. It will be the most versatile.
    What John Berry said, especially if it is your first lens

Others worthy of your consideration might include a double symmar (2 focal lengths--more bang for the buck!) a 135mm WF Ektar, 203mm Ektar, 120mm Angulon or Super Angulon and of course the Goerz d-d-d-d-Dagor!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White