Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Agfa Ansco View Camera Question/help

Re: Agfa Ansco View Camera Question/help

The first thing I need to do is head to Borders to get some books, as I have no clue as
    oh, i had the chance to take a closer look at the camera last night and i am really amazed at the craftmanship and materials used, is this camera in the 1930s period?[/QUOTE]

Your camera was made between about 1926 and 1935. It is a Universal View. Your's is really beautiful. I have the same camera and love it. I do have the 4x5 reducing back for it, and as others have pointed out, it should be a doable make if you are good with tools and wood. You will need to put a Graflex-type back on it if you wish to use the Fuji 4x5 film pack holder on it. They do not fit in the standard spring-type back like the one you have for 5x7. Keep you eyes peeled for goodies. I got a split back portrait back--two images on a sheet of 5x7 for next to nothing on fleaBay. Lens boards fairly easy to make. Good luck, have fun, keep in touch.

thanks for the info, and i was able to fold the camera up, and fits nicely into the case.

what are these two boards for? each board has 2 circular holes on the boards?

and the lens board already has a thread mount already, is there a specific size for this thread?

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/276391758_LKa8G-XL.jpg

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/276391937_WG7uR-XL.jpg

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/276392005_YcMBZ-XL.jpg

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/276391846_oLG6k-XL.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by zoom2zoom View Post
    thanks for the info, and i was able to fold the camera up, and fits nicely into the case.

what are these two boards for? each board has 2 circular holes on the boards?

and the lens board already has a thread mount already, is there a specific size for this thread?

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/276391758_LKa8G-XL.jpg

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/276391937_WG7uR-XL.jpg

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/276392005_YcMBZ-XL.jpg

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/276391846_oLG6k-XL.jpg
    These are sliders. They fit it to slots in the back of your camera and by sliding them around allow you to take eithet two 2-1/2"X7" or two 3-1/2"x5" or four 2-1/2"x3-1/3" exposures on a single sheet of 5x7 film. Very cool. Slide the long ends in first. The circles allow you to slide them around.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

also... i can't see anywhere on nps.gov that you need a permit to use tripod on wash dc monuments? do i need one if i am setting up on the lawn, not inside buildings.. if so, where do i acquire one?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_3536 View Post
    my understanding since it's labeled Agfa/Ansco and has tilt it's betwen 1941 and 1943.
    Yes. You are correct. I did not see the tilt in the pix I viewed. No matter what, it is one beeeuuuutiful camera. Looks pristine.

Quote Originally Posted by zoom2zoom View Post
    also... i can't see anywhere on nps.gov that you need a permit to use tripod on wash dc monuments? do i need one if i am setting up on the lawn, not inside buildings.. if so, where do i acquire one?
    You don't need a permit for a tripod. Just try not to get in the way of the flow of people entering or exiting the monuments.

hi guys. i think this would be my first post as well...

im eyeing for an ansco 5x7 (my first LF). but need more info about the camera.. atleast seen a few already.. what i also want is to output of the camera. i haven't seen any pictures from this camera. anyone would like to share?

thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by tenderobject View Post
    hi guys. i think this would be my first post as well...

im eyeing for an ansco 5x7 (my first LF). but need more info about the camera.. atleast seen a few already.. what i also want is to output of the camera. i haven't seen any pictures from this camera. anyone would like to share?

thank you very much!
    Which model Agfa/Ansco? They made several, some with rather limiting movements, bellow ext. etc... IMHO the best is the "Universal" (it won't likely say "Universal" anywhere on the camera, unfortunately) You might do a search for Agfa Ansco Universal and see what pops up. I know there are photographs of one on the internet. I've got two of them and they are excellent chick magnets. Not as good a chick magnet as a Deardorff, but as close as you can get for the money
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Which model Agfa/Ansco? They made several, some with rather limiting movements, bellow ext. etc... IMHO the best is the "Universal" (it won't likely say "Universal" anywhere on the camera, unfortunately) You might do a search for Agfa Ansco Universal and see what pops up. I know there are photographs of one on the internet. I've got two of them and they are excellent chick magnets. Not as good a chick magnet as a Deardorff, but as close as you can get for the money
    actually it looks the same model that the OP got from 600$ but no tripod though.

same lens as well i think.. i can't find any sample in the internet. i mean the shots taken with the camera and lens .. im so new to this. i've used 6x6, 6x7 and 6x9 cameras but that's the biggest that i have. want to jump on much bigger and the looks of this wooden cameras are fantastic i don't mind the weight.

is it possible to have left, right, top, bottom shift with this camera? i'm very interested with the selective focus, soft and creamy bokeh these LF cameras can do. is it possible? i've seen graflex can do those but i'm inlove with the wooden built. if not i would probably go buy a crown graphic

thank you again.. sorry for the OP i just hijacked his thread. hope he can post some of his shots from this beauty!

hopefully someone could post some pics taken with ansco 5x7 with Hugo Meyer & Co Gorlitz & New York 6 1/2 inch f4.5 filmotar lens in compur shutter.. please! thanks!

Thats a Universal alright. You've got all the shifts, tilts, swings and rise you'll likely ever want. Plus the whole camera can be reversed on it's bed if you wish, and the extension rails are hinged on so you'll not have to worry about misplacing them.
    A beautiful camera! Enjoy