Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8x10 wooden cameras

Re: 8x10 wooden cameras

I bought a new Shen 8x10 a few months back. I considered a Deardorff but I really wanted a new camera with no surprises. I'm very happy with the Shen. Its 9lbs on my scale, had lots of bellows draw and if I want things like reduction backs I can get them. And $1800 for a new camera was a pretty good price!

Talking Re: 8x10 wooden cameras

Thanks everyone.I think I'm sold on the Dorff.
    At 60,a vintage guy should deserve a really nice vintage camera!

Thumbs up Re: 8x10 wooden cameras

Quote Originally Posted by bwaysteve View Post
    There you go! Dorff is simply a classic, like driving a 1950/60 mustang. I prefer extreme HP along with handling and all wheel drive that a Subaru STI can provide. Of course, there's other rally type cars out there that can do this and give you options in different price brackets, though all do the same for the most part. But nothing like the feeling of being in that brute force Mustang that has tons of balls to shoot down the lane.

You made an excellent decision because a classic always remains a classic=will always be worth something, even if LF film is gone ever...won't be unless you die at age 130!!!

Enjoy the shooting and have some ffffffunnnn!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by audioexcels View Post
    There you go! Dorff is simply a classic, like driving a 1950/60 mustang. I prefer extreme HP along with handling and all wheel drive that a Subaru STI can provide. Of course, there's other rally type cars out there that can do this and give you options in different price brackets, though all do the same for the most part. But nothing like the feeling of being in that brute force Mustang that has tons of balls to shoot down the lane.
    A minor point - the first Ford Mustang was delivered in April 1964, as a '64 1/2 model.

Quote Originally Posted by bwaysteve View Post
    I love my 'dorff. When the light is bad, I can sit on a rock or stump and look at all the "character marks" on the gleaming mahogany and wonder about all the 'togs who shot with her before me

BTW check out the Deardorff Historical site for maintenance tips and other really cool info.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Thumbs up Re: 8x10 wooden cameras

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moore View Post
    A minor point - the first Ford Mustang was delivered in April 1964, as a '64 1/2 model.
    I mean Ford

I thought it was introduced in the 60's. Afterall, Elvis drove a Caddy right? I think he would have been in a Mustang if he was in the middle of the 60's.