Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 7x11 Cut Film Holders

7x11 Cut Film Holders

Noticed the thread on 7x11 holders and rather than highjack that thread decided to start a new one.

Do not have any 'extra' 7x11 holders to spare, but this seems like a good time to mention that I sent Sandy King one of my 7x11 Eastman holders to measure and compare to a Korona 7x11 holder. It is my hope that the difference between the Eastman and Korona are minor and that we (myself and the owner of the Korona) can put together a small order of S&S 7x11 holders.

These things do come up once in a while, but not that often. A source for new ones would be welcomed (plus would be real nice to have for the 7x11/8x10 that Richard is building for me). A new Ritter 7x11 camera (yes sent him one of the other holders to used to make the 7x11 back) and new S&S 7x11 holders and I will be set.

If you are interested, let Sandy know - or post your interest here - or I will be happy to pass the information on to Sandy. For those wondering why 7x11, it is 11x14 cut in half, but the big attraction for me is the perspective..it just works for the way I see. Very close to 5x7 or 12x20 (7x11 really looks like a smaller 12x20) - see attached.
    Mike Castles
    My Web Site
    Rambles

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Re: 7x11 Cut Film Holders

Close to the Golden Ratio !!! Oh, no...now you've got ME thinking, and, as my wife will attest, thinking for me winds up being expensive...but what the heck, a few holders, a reducing back for my 10x12 and I'll be...er...GOLDEN...(with apologies to Pythagoras, Euclid, et al)....

-Richard in Toronto yet to thaw

That is a great looking format. Nice shot, too.

The perspective / ratio indeed looks very nice! Also, for those who are hesitant about cutting film (like I am), Ilford's special production run has 7x11 in FP4+ and HP5+. Or at least the last run had this size, and we can hope they will continue.

Mike, that photo is very well done!

Best wishes,
    Sanjay
    Last edited by Sanjay Sen; 23-Mar-2008 at 10:01. Reason: Spelling

Thank you for the kind comments, Sanjay and Colin.

It is very close to the Golden Mean, and one of the really nice things about the format is the ability to go to vertical, by just changing the back. That and all of my 8x10 lens work perfect - right now that is 240,300 and 450.

All of my work is contact prints (plt/pld) and the format has a nice presence when mounted/matted and framed.

As Sanjay mentioned, Ilford does include 7x11 in Fp4+ and HP5+, I picked up a few boxes from the last run. In addition to that film, at one point I checked with Freestyle to see about an order of Efke PL100, and it is possible to have that film cut to 7x11 as well - the minimum order (20 boxes I think) was just out of my budget.
    Mike Castles
    My Web Site
    Rambles

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Geeze Mike, now you've done it. Golden ratio. Nice. I have an idea of how to adapt one (or more) of my 10x12 holders to accommodate 7x11 film (which apparently IS available). Any thoughts?

I envision a sheet of thin 10x12 plastic to be inserted into the holder with retaining strips to hold 7x11 film. I would use one thickness of film to form the abutment top and bottom and right. I would then use a second strip overlapping the top and bottom strips to act as a rail. The left side would be open, to be clamped down by the film holder flap. There would be 1/2" or so gap with the overlapping top and bottom strips at the beginning (left side) of rows C and D to facilitate film loading. So the ground glass would be marked (I couldn't get the vertical asterisks to line up correctly but just connect A to B and C to D with asterisks):

********************A
    *****************C

*****************D
    ********************B

Suggestions appreciated!

7x11 has been a huge temptation since I saw your posts over on APUG last year. Since then I've been going the trailerpark route- masking 4x5 to give the same ratio. One of these days though....

Edit-I added a link to the thread, hope you don't mind. It's a great thread about the format.
    Last edited by Colin Graham; 23-Mar-2008 at 12:32. Reason: added link

Richard, just tell your wife it is my fault!

What you describe, I think might work. There was another thread recently about a modification for a Lotus 14x17 holder, that had what looked to me like an insert that fit into each side and one on each end to mask the film area (the modification was for 12x16 Ilfochrome paper IIRC). Have a friend with a 12x20, who has discussed using 11x14 in his 12x20 holders, using the same technique.

Of course there is always the option of 7x11 back and holders. I would suggest making a mask for the GG so you can see if it is a format you would like. If you are making a mask, maybe try something like 7.5x12 to get to a near Golden Mean.
    Mike Castles
    My Web Site
    Rambles

oooohhh! i may need some holders. where can i get info on prices and availability? how about 7x11 film?

thanks. mine is a korona.

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

wfwhitaker

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    oooohhh! i may need some holders. where can i get info on prices and availability?
    Quality Camera has some. Check with Jeff.