Thread: pyrocat hd and softened water

pyrocat hd and softened water

Just had some negs come out pink and faint. I'm sure I mixed A and B, and not 2 of the same. The A is faint brown. It's always possible I didn't shake up the B enough.

One difference between good and bad development is that in the meantime I refreshed my water softener's brine tank with Morton's softener rock salt -- that was about a week ago.

Anyhoo, is there a link between soft water and problems with Pyrocat HD? Sigh... I threw out the remainder (about 1/3 bottle left) and cracked open some fresh bottles just in case.

Thanks,

George

Re: pyrocat hd and softened water

I always mix my Pyrocat HD with distilled H2O. Takes any variables related to the tap water out of the equation. I also mix my other film related chemicals from developer to fix to photoflo with distilled water. Compared to the $3/exposure for the film, $.89/gal for the water seems pretty cheap.

Hmm, have not had a problem with soft tap water and pyro. I use the pyro MC. I use a lot of it, so I order the larger bottles from Photographers Formulary. Towards the end of the bottle, the A formula will pour a dark brown/black. But works fine. The new bottle A pours more orange/brown.

But, I have not had a problem with tap water. I once got a very small amount of B into the A and the negs came out really thin....

Hope you solve your problem as I know it can be very frustrating.

I'd wonder how old your Pyrocat HD "A" solution was.

I've had a water softener for over 10 years and I've never had a problem using soft water with chemicals. I know it's not recommended by Anchell in the Film Developing Cookbook. I use potassium for the backflush instead of rock salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    I'd wonder how old your Pyrocat HD "A" solution was.
    Somewhere between 6 and 8 months - I use it slowly since I can only shoot on weekends. It's the glycol version.

gb

I'd guess contamination of the solutions. How do you get it out and measure? Do you ever put some back in? Do you use separate syringes for each bottle, e.g.?