Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Paterson Orbital processor vs Combi.....

Re: Paterson Orbital processor vs Combi.....

Quote Originally Posted by BigSteveG View Post
    wow.....$300.00 for a tank....I thought $80 for a combi was bad...they better be pretty good for that price....I assume the lift is not needed for manual processing? Is the foot pump accessory essential?
    They are about $150-$200 used. The pump is helpful, as is the $25 roller base.

I'm a big fan of the Orbital, and have even travelled with it in a backpack. Light, very economical to use (just 60-120ml of soup), dead easy to load in a changing bag, and you don't even need the base once you know how to use it. Prices get silly (over 50 quid) but you can pick them up for 10-20 if you are lucky.

They only seem to be available from Europe. I've not been able to find any US listings. Has anyone comapared the Oribital to the Jobo Expert?

Thanks for the pics Ash. Very helpful.

Ask Jim, his green men seem to have picked up 5 of everything

I use the Orbital as well; I gouged the bottom of mine with a screwdriver to prevent the film from sticking to the bottom (it /will/ !).
    It's /great/ for 4x5 sheets; you can use it with 150ml of chemical if you like (I did, many times, with DDX) but with reusable developers I use more like 400ml and I just rock the tray without using the base at all. Perfect development in full daylight everytime.

It also will do 8x10, but I had lots of problems doing so. Using more than about 200ml of chemicals makes the sheet 'float' and touch the two prods that hold the sheet down; vthat creates uneven development.
    However with less chemicals you need to rotate it on it's base more often, and that will create other uneven development in the corners... I found it really really hard to get consistent, easy results.
    Also, for 8x10 at one sheet at a time, 1/2h per sheet... it starts getting a bit on the long end if you have 6 sheets

I got my Orbital for GBP22 off ebay UK.

It's dead easy to load (even in a changing bag), quick to fill and quick to empty. Since it uses so little chemistry, it doesn't matter if you have one or four sheets to process. I use 150ml of PC-TEA 1+50 solution or the same amount for Rodinal 1+50 to process four sheets. You can use as little as 60ml of solution.

I use it on the manual base.

I use an Orbital as well. 300 ml will cover the film easily. I don't have the motorised base and the agitation is a bit of a pain. I did find that 4x5 sheet film tended to overlap at times and this was also a pain so I glued a couple of bits of plastic to the base of the tank. This means that I can only develop 4x5 but it's not a problem. I have a Combi but I've not tried it yet. I've been told that some people develop 12 sheets at a time loading the sheets back to back, I havn't tried it.
    Watch U.K. auction sites but try to get the motorised base.
    Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Watkins View Post
    I use an Orbital as well. 300 ml will cover the film easily. ...... I did find that 4x5 sheet film tended to overlap at times and this was also a pain so I glued a couple of bits of plastic to the base of the tank. ....
    Pete.
    I think that using too much solution is the cause of the problems - too much, and the sheets can just up and float away over the pegs. If you stick to less than 200ml, you shouldn't have a problem.

Thanks Paul,
    I read somwhere 75 ml per sheet, dunno where! The extra plastic bits are working for me but that's good advice for others.
    Thanks,
    Pete.