Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using the HP-Combi

Using the HP-Combi

I tried the HP Combi for the first time last night.

Question: Am I supposed to agitate by inverting the tank?

The reason that I am asking is because I did, and when I opened the tank after development, all of the 4x5 sheets where no longer in the slots that I put them in before processing. They were all floating around loose and stuck together. It looks like they developed ok, but I can't imagine that they are supposed to come out of their slots.

I can see a few potential problems.

1) when I put the film holder together, one side of it is not rigid. The side that has the nuts that you tighten down during assembly it is tight, but the opposite side is not.

2) there is nothing holding the film in the slots from above.

3) Maybe I didn't put the film in the slots correctly. I simply slid each piece of film into it's own slot, and since there was nothing to prevent them from coming backu up out of the slots, I left it like that.

4) Maybe you have to invert the tank using some special technique that I'm not using.

Assuming it is designed well, it's possible that I either didn't assembled it correctly, or there are parts missing. The directions were kind of sketchy.

I guess I can deal with the fact that it leaks when you invert it, and that it takes a long time to fill and empty, but I think the film should stay in place.

Has anyone had similar problems?

Re: Using the HP-Combi

Hi, here are a few tips:
    1) make sure you assemble correctly, with the curved sides inward on both sides.
    2) Find the plastic clip that holds the film in. After you load the film, put the clip on and only push down 1 or 2 clicks.
    3) Invert in the direction of the short edge of the tank so as to not to cause motion that would force the film out of the slots.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

There are two reasons for the problem you have. First, you seem to be missing a part. There is a film retaining clip piece that fits on the top of the film rack that holds the film in place. Second, when you do inversions of the tank for agitation, the rotational axis must be around the thin side of the tank. My method is to hold the loaded tank with one hand on top and one on the bottom. I invert in one direction, bring it back, switch hands and invert in the other direction. It is not as awkward as it sounds.

Kevin

Ok, so - two good tips. I was inverting, and then rotating 90 degrees each time, so I'll only invert sideways. I guess I can see how if you do it the other way, there's more pressure from the liquid on the face of the film as you invert it.

I do have the sides with the curve towards the center.

I think I must be missing something. I don't have a "plastic clip that holds the film in." I'll have to order one - I think I see it on bhphoto
    - is this it?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._HP_Combi.html

Kevin is right: you are missing the top film retaining clip. You can order it from HP marketing.

When you get the clip dry-practice a few times with junked sheets. I found with my tank that if the clip was a bit too tight, or a bit too loose the sheets would dump.

Since I learned that, with my tank, the retaining clip should be pushed down three notches, I haven't lost a single sheet; but you must invert gently!
    Last edited by Ron Marshall; 8-Mar-2008 at 15:10.

bb, yes you have found the right part from bhp. I also attach it with 3 clicks so that the film is not pinched. You can feel and hear the clicks so it is easily repeatable. Gentle motion when inverting, as Ron suggested, is also key, I have never had a problem with sheets coming out or uneven development with my combi tank.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by blevblev View Post
    Ok, so - two good tips. I was inverting, and then rotating 90 degrees each time, so I'll only invert sideways. I guess I can see how if you do it the other way, there's more pressure from the liquid on the face of the film as you invert it.

I do have the sides with the curve towards the center.

I think I must be missing something. I don't have a "plastic clip that holds the film in." I'll have to order one - I think I see it on bhphoto
    - is this it?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._HP_Combi.html
    Did you buy a new tank that was missing the clip?

If you don't have the instruction book because you don't have a new tank let me know your email address and we will email you the instructions.

I have been recommended and use the agitation method of the 'falling leaf' i.e. not necessarily turning the tank up side down, but rather wiggling it back and forth like a leaf falling trough the air.

People usually complain about the time it takes to fill up the tank and I use the method following this link. Both taps should be open while filling.

a way to fill the combiplan tank faster than normal

I did recently buy a new one new from either Calumet or Adorama - I can't remember which (I'd have to go fishing to find the receipt.) I do have the instructions - it was a little hard to follow concerning the assembly.