Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Microtek M1 review

Re: New Microtek M1 review

Actually, I find the Whitespider review rather misinformed in some ways-one example, the Microtek much heralded "glassless" scanning (which I see as marketing hype). In fact it is not used on the best Microtec or any other high end flatbed scanners. The XY 6000, Microtek's flagship which retailed at $12k, scanned through the glass as do the high end Creo's, Screens, and Kodaks. Why?, I suspect the glass is less an issue than mirror alignment, vibration etc.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

In addition to what Kirk says, when I test scanners for View Camera I try very hard to keep subjective evaluations to a minimum. Trying to evaluate images on the internet becomes impossibly subjective. For anyone who is interested, the can read my review of the M1 in the current issue. I still need to do a Dmax test and expect to be able to get it done very soon. Kirk and I will also be scanning the same image on an M1 and a V750 and report back here on what we see.

Smile Re: New Microtek M1 review

Ted,

Sorry for making it sound like medium format and 35 mm were the only target media.
    You're right, no single scanner seems to do it all well for sub $2000.
    But some are approaching the sort of quality worth the investment.
    The remainder set aside for drum archival...

About 50% is 6 x 6, 30% is for archiving 4 x 5, some larger sheet film as well. The remainder is 35 mm archival.
    The long range film strategy is probably 75% medium format. Remainder large format.

Parker Plaisted of Microtek has informed me that the M1 website ( http://artixscanm1.com/ ) has been updated with sample scan times, tips for the auto focus feature and a short FAQ , there will be more to come including galleries to showcase sample scans from various photographers including myself. Other future improvements to the website will include an updated look and better navigation.
    Last edited by Gary Nylander; 19-Mar-2008 at 20:55. Reason: edit post
    Gary Nylander,

West Kelowna, B.C., Canada
    Blog:http://garynylander.blogspot.com/
    Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/nylander.photo

Thanks Gary. I was also looking through the FAQ page and there is a PDF on how to remove the glass platen for cleaning. Looks pretty simple.

Hello Jurgen, I am currently running the artixscan 2500, with the scanwizaed software. any thoughts on this new silverfast, with the 2 pass option? I am debating if the move to a M1 will be better quality than the expensive 2500 I have. how do you like the 617 holders? Happy with the F1 so far?
    Thanks alot
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    Harley

Thank you very much for your hint .
    I have just upgraded SILVERFAST AI to 6.5.5r4b , which is the newest level .
    I am working with ARTIXSCAN F1 .

Jürgen

Michael, The two pass mode which expands the effective dynamic range by utilizing two exposures, one for the highlights and one for the shadows, works very effectively, EXCEPT the step motors in most sub $1000 scanners is too sloppy to give two identical size scans, resulting in a significant loss of sharpness. None of the Epsons I have owned including the 750 or the Microtek 1800f could take real advantage of that option because of the cheap step motor. The scanners you mentioned including the M1, I have not tested.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Michael, The two pass mode which expands the effective dynamic range by utilizing two exposures, one for the highlights and one for the shadows, works very effectively, EXCEPT the step motors in most sub $1000 scanners is too sloppy to give two identical size scans, resulting in a significant loss of sharpness. None of the Epsons I have owned including the 750 or the Microtek 1800f could take real advantage of that option because of the cheap step motor. The scanners you mentioned including the M1, I have not tested.
    Anyone have any plans to check it out - along with the Dmax evaluation? I'd be very interested - and grateful to whoever could evaluate it. That would be a terrific reason to get one if the registration of the two passes was good.

I am Iam I am ..... just been too slammed and now semi laid up.

I just purchased the Artixscan M1 Pro via Calumet online.
    Given a few updates from Silverfast I should be up and running before too long. Hopefully I will be able to do some thorough optical tests with targets I have available from my microscopy work.
    I also have a variety of 50.8 mm x 50.8 mm Ronchi gratings (chrome on glass) ranging from 50 line pairs/mm to 500 line pairs/mm. I will do my best to determine the extinguishing resolution of this instrument given various settings. For all of the reviews placed in plain sight thus far, it is a mixed bag of results except for the initial flood of Silverfast related issues that appear to have been fixed to a great degree.

I am anxious to see what Ted Harris has come up with...
    I.E. waiting to get a back issue of View Camera too.