Thread: analog to digital metering

analog to digital metering

i have a pentax digital spot meter. you will notice on this meter an IRE scale below the EV scale. i shoot a lot of video for work and am used to the ire scale and waveform signals. i've found recently that my D100 sensor matches the ire scale almost exactly, so this sparked a question in my mind...

since many of us are scanning and printing on inkjets and lightjets, does it make more sense to meter and expose the negative as a digital capture medium? i think most of our work in scanning is trying to compress the dynamic range of film into the 0 to 255 brightness range of 8 bit digital files and machine prints. my pentax spot meter recommends a different value for zone 5, and compresses zones 5 - 10 into a 2 1/3 stop range. this works on video and film transferred to video. maybe it works for film scanned to digital.

anyone metering this way?

Re: analog to digital metering

I've generally used the IRE scale for transparencies - it says so in the Pentax manual AFAIR. Highlights on 10 and shadows on 1 and it's given me decent results so far...

I have a Zone VI sticker over most of mine for B&W work but just leave enough uncovered to see the end points.

Andrew

Re: analog to digital metering

I look on them as just two different ways to the same end, but one is linear and one is logarithmic.

Best,
    Helen