Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 75mm F/1.9 OSCILLO-ANASTIGMAT No C47616 WOLLENSAK-DUMONT

Re: 75mm F/1.9 OSCILLO-ANASTIGMAT No C47616 WOLLENSAK-DUMONT

Obturateur, Shrik.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Obturateur, Shrik.
    An obdurateur would be someone who practices the trait of obduracy?
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

E., when I learned French 50 years ago the Quebecois spoke a funny French. This was before big Charlie put his large foot in his large mouth and encouraged them to think of themselves as French rather than as Canadians. They may now speak and spell a more nearly Parisian French.

(Shrek)

M'kay, I don't get to practice my written French very often.

E., when I learned French 50 years ago the Quebecois spoke a funny French. This was before big Charlie put his large foot in his large mouth and encouraged them to think of themselves as French rather than as Canadians. They may now speak and spell a more nearly Parisian French.
    I don't know, the Quebecois are pretty obdurate...
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

(Shrek)

I've had to think about this a little. I grew up during the revolution tranquille, in a farming community, and worked in construction from an early age. I would sometimes bring a sharpie into washrooms on construction sites and correct the spelling and grammar of anti-English screeds. The common story was of a man who went to school until the age of 10 or 12, then left to work on the family farm. The Quebecois joual was almost a language unto itself, practically incomprehensible to Parisians.

The difference now is that most complete their basic schooling and do indeed learn some correct French, though the spoken joual hasn't changed all that much in this time. It's just that most people are able to speak both now, instead of just the priests and notaries and the hippie bearded intellectuals. In fact, our bearded hippies from the 1970s separation movement are going extinct, in favor of younger hipsters who view themselves as not just Quebecois, but part of the international community.