Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some thoughts for a beginner: Xenar or Optar?

Some thoughts for a beginner: Xenar or Optar?

Hi all, first poster here.

I'm hoping to get my first LF camera. Most likely, unless some windfall comes my way, it'll be a Crown Graphic.

My question has to do with the lens, if you have a choice between one with an Optar vs with a Xenar, assuming the price difference to be a non-issue, which one would you go for? or is this even worth questioning? or... should I be looking for another lens?

Re: Some thoughts for a beginner: Xenar or Optar?

A crown graphic is a great camera regardless of budget. In the "normal" focal length, the Optars are quite decent and the Xenar is very good too. I'd take whichever I could get with the the cleanest glass and the best working shutter. Either lens would be fine for shooting without movements.

i would also add try and get a speed graphics. it should cost about the same as a crown with the added benefit of a focal plane shutter. when you have a FP shutter you can use many different barrel lenses (no lens in a shutter). the barrel lenses are very cheap. you can get many that will have much better coverage than the two you ask about.

it should be very easy for you to find a speed (or crown) in good working order witha lens for $150-$250. good luck and keep us posted.

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Either lens will serve you well.

A Crown is lighter, and a little smaller in box depth, then a Speed Graphic.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Actually the later model Xenars in the late model Synchro Compur shutters are best, the ones with the wide white plastic cocking levers.

i have a crown with a optar and have been very pleased with it . it's not great for tons of movement but neither are crowns . i think i paid about $150.00 a few years ago .

just a note if you don't own any film holders try and find a deal that includes a few .

good luck

tim

The Xenar, Optar and Ektar that you are most likely to encounter on a Crown Graphic are all basically, the same. So, what you're really looking at is the shutter. The Optar will almost certainly be mounted in a Rapax (aka Graphex) shutter - which is not bad I guess. The Xenars are almost always mounted in some version of Synchro Compur...pretty good. and The Ektars can come in eiother of those or (more often) in a Kodak Flash Supermatic -- which some think is ok and others loath.

Personally, I'd look for any of these in a modern Syncho Compur shutter. The Rapax / Graphex would be my second choice andd the Supermatic a distant third. but, that's just me.

Before you buy a camera may I suggest some reading.

User's Guide to the View Camera by Jim Stone
    Using the View Camera that i wrote
    Large Format Nature Photography by Jack Dykinga

these are all books so try your local library or Amazon.com

Getting Started in Large Format

is a free article on the View Camera web site

www.viecamera.com

and then go to Free Articles

there are several articles that might be helpful

To play devil's advocate, I am not a fan of the cameras you are considering. They all have limited bellows and movements. For not that much more money there are several new folding cameras on the market such as the Chamonix, Shen Hao, and others - perhaps the Tachihara/Osaka, etc. that I would encourage you to consider. Call places such as Mid-West Photo, Badger Graphics, Lens and Repro, KEH Cameras and see what they suggest.

just my 2 cents

steve simmons

i have to disagree with steve . i think the crown and speed graphic camera are fantastic for a beginner . for under $200.00 you will get a sturdy camera , lens and shutter , and maybe a few film holders . this was my first camera .

i have since moved to a wisner technical , 4 lenses , bag bellows , focusing cloth , etc. . i would have been apprehensive to start with this set up . graphic's are great for boosting large format confidence and control .

also what you invest in a graflex you will mostly likely get right out if it's not for you .

just a thought

thanks

tim

Thanks so much for encouraging and educational responses to help this bewildered newbie.

I have read a bunch of materials online and mulled over and over about moving to LF. Seems to me that the Crown Graphic provides an entry level platform that will allow me just to get accustomed to the LF workflow first (coming from MF folders and SLR's).

Based on what you guys are telling me, a Xenar with Synchro Compur shutter is one of the "better" buy out there. There's a guy selling one locally, pretty much brand new (box and manuals included), with Graphlok back. But he's asking for too much at the moment. I'll try to get it down to a more reasonable pricing.

As an aside, what you guys think about Super Speed Graphic? is that closer to the Speed Graphic or Crown Graphic feature-wise?