Page 94 of 107 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast

Thread: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Re: Screen Cezanne Users Unite - Color Genius Software and SSD upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by TC542 View Post
    Hi Floyd . . . I may have a secondhand glass available . . . Been used, but not extensively . . (Used on training courses only . . . )
    Whereabouts are you? . . Can ship in an original box.
    Also, have a clear glass . . Normally used for 'Line-art' . . But a SCREEN scanner instructor used to use this for normal scanning aswell . . . Apparently with good results.
    Let me know . . .
    Regards, tc542
    Hey TC,

Id certainly be interested in the glass. My scanner and I are posted up in Brooklyn NY, would that work with shipping on your end?

Re: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

I shot this excellent negative over the weekend so I decided to push the Cezanne to the limit by scanning it at 5000 DPI (strips) to see what I could pull from a TMX negative exposed about as optimally as possible, with an APO Symmar 150mm lens at f/16.

Here's the full shot:

Here's a 100% crop sized at 100 x 125 inches at 96 DPI for most monitors:

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by FloydPhill View Post
    Hey TC,

Id certainly be interested in the glass. My scanner and I are posted up in Brooklyn NY, would that work with shipping on your end?
    Hi Floyd . . .
    Which glass tray would you be interested in . . .Standard or Clear . . ?
    I'd be a bit worried about shipping the tray to NY . . . People handling it . . . Even in the proper packaging . . . !!
    (Could pack some more bubble wrap inside I suppose . . . )
    Let me know and I'll find out what the shipping would cost . . including insurance . . .
    Regards, Tony

Quote Originally Posted by TC542 View Post
    Hi Floyd . . .
    Which glass tray would you be interested in . . .Standard or Clear . . ?
    I'd be a bit worried about shipping the tray to NY . . . People handling it . . . Even in the proper packaging . . . !!
    (Could pack some more bubble wrap inside I suppose . . . )
    Let me know and I'll find out what the shipping would cost . . including insurance . . .
    Regards, Tony
    Hi Tony,

Regarding the glass, whats the difference between the Standard Glass and the Clear?

Ah yeah shipping glass is always a risk. Do not bend stickers are always a prudent measure, but with how the post is handled out here its very little assurance.

The standard tray is acrylic with an anti-Newton texture. My guess is that the glass tray is really glass, and it doesn't have a texture. Is that right?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    The standard tray is acrylic with an anti-Newton texture. My guess is that the glass tray is really glass, and it doesn't have a texture. Is that right?
    Correct . . The Glass Tray . . for Line-Art scanning . .is a clear glass.
    I will try and get a quote for shipping of both the Standard and Glass trays . . inc. insurance . . .
    Watch this space . . ;-)
    BR, Tony

Hi, everyone!

I am new to working with a Cezanne Elite.

I've compared 800 dpi scans from the Cezanne with a scan from my Canon LiDE 400 at the same resolution, and as of this writing the scans coming off of a <$100 machine look better than the Cezanne scans. The lines are crisper, the shadows retain more detail and are less inky, and the color runs a little less extreme (I'm still testing with different settings, but so far I'm finding that the Cezanne leans very cyan/yellow with much higher contrast). For reference, the optical resolution on the LiDE is 4800; the Cezanne is 2400.

I understand that the Cezanne is known to be an excellent product when it comes to professional scanning, but my experience comparing the results from this machine and a cheap household scanner are concerning to say the least. Can anyone recommend a configuration of settings that have worked for them or suggest an area I should pay specific attention to when making adjustments? (I am using this primarily to scan artworks on paper for publishing.) Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you!
    Kat

What are you scanning, what's the end purpose, and why are you scanning at 800 dpi?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Bryan, that would make a terrific big print!

I don't think many of us are using their Cezannes to scan opaque things, but first you'll want to try a fresh bulb if you have it. Secondly, if the darker areas are too dark, change the SD settings to a higher number. Don't just let it automatically set the values in the HD / SD area. Color you'll have to figure out the best settings. One option here is to get a color checker chart and scan it to figure out the correct settings for light/dark/grey. Start at 0, 0, 0, on the HD.

Finally, 800 DPI is nothing to this scanner, the optical resolution can get to over 5000 DPI depending on how / what you scan. If you can scan at a higher resolution, you'll get more information in the file. Not sure how large your originals are, but I can scan an 8x10 in one pass at 1500 DPI. Unless you are scanning the whole bed in one go, you should be able to get more than 800 DPI. Don't forget to orient your original with the long side facing horizontally. Your resolution can be up to about (12,000 ÷ width in inches) in one pass.

PS: Here's a youtube clip of me setting up a scan of film. Might help you, but understand the HD / SD valuesare REVERSED due to the film being a negative and also probably fairly different values for scanning film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f1ScrmR-2Y

Thanks Peter, it would!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome