Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: More RAM really makes a difference

jetcode

Re: More RAM really makes a difference

Quote Originally Posted by Jim MacKenzie View Post
    I think this is the same Apple that intentionally makes the batteries in the iPod and the iPhone non-user-interchangeable, isn't it?
    Most likely this has to do with power requirements and form factors. It doesn't make APPLE more profit to have to support two battery types and in fact both batteries are likely supplied to APPLE from the same manufacturer.
    Last edited by jetcode; 21-Feb-2008 at 22:35.

I use memory with parity bit in my pc. does mac use memory with parity bit? With GB size memory, I'd imagine that the chances of getting bit errors increase.

Some RAM is better than others, but you will know if it is bad. Your computer will crash spectacularly.
    I had one of the old jelly bean iMacs at work, I think it was a G3, and the Apple RAM went bad but it didn't crash spectacularly it just started acting really funky. Some pull down menus weren't there in some applications and the machine kept locking up and/or crashing every couple of days. Now our group has one of the Mac Pros for heavy duty enzyme kinetic analysis and mathematical modeling. If I lived closer I would come in afterhours and do some photoshop work, but it's a university so there really aren't any 'afterhours'.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by jetcode View Post
    Most likely this has to do with power requirements and form factors. It doesn't make APPLE more profit to have to support two battery types and in fact both batteries are likely supplied to APPLE from the same manufacturer.
    My criticism was in the fact that Apple chooses not to make it easy to change the batteries. Other consumer devices tend to have batteries that are easily removed and exchanged. Apple has intentionally done the opposite to force most iPod and iPhone users to pay Apple a service fee to make the exchange, and to quash the market on third-party batteries.

I like a lot of things about Apple, but lithium ion batteries are only good for two to three years. They do fail, whether you use the device or not. Not making them easily exchangeable by the user is egregious. I would be as mad as hell if Nikon or Canon made it so that I had to send my camera away to change the battery.

jetcode

My criticism was in the fact that Apple chooses not to make it easy to change the batteries. Other consumer devices tend to have batteries that are easily removed and exchanged. Apple has intentionally done the opposite to force most iPod and iPhone users to pay Apple a service fee to make the exchange, and to quash the market on third-party batteries.

I like a lot of things about Apple, but lithium ion batteries are only good for two to three years. They do fail, whether you use the device or not. Not making them easily exchangeable by the user is egregious. I would be as mad as hell if Nikon or Canon made it so that I had to send my camera away to change the battery.
    If you ever get a chance to design a thin portable consumer grade appliance the first thing you will likely do is dismantle an ipod and iphone. The Lithium battery packs are extremely thin and are not packaged to be handled by consumers. In fact trying to access the battery pack with it's tiny connector is beyond 99.9999% of the people who use these products. Apple knew this. Apple decided to provide the service and in my eyes when that battery is toast after 3 years of hard play you can pay Apple to have them replace the battery which is cheaper then buying a new unit. I think it's a great design and they likely had little choice considering getting a product approved for consumer use. They could have designed the ipod to be fat and clumsy like a cell phone but they didn't. Cell phones are all battery because it takes 1 amp of power to transmit to a wireless radio tower. I just integrated a GPRS modem into a green irrigation system.

Cameras like the Nikon and Canon DSLR employ high speed DSP technology which require a lot of power making the ability to replace the big fat battery essential. Try sticking a camera in your shirt pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    Joe, there is a difference between RAM you by from Apple ($500 for 2GB for the newest MacPro) and Apple approved/certified memory you buy from a third party (~$120 for the same 2GB).

While I agree that bad RAM won't fry anything else just be sure an Apple tech never sees non approved/non certified RAM i your machine if it is in for repair under warranty. Then, the difference in price from a third party reseller for the approved flavor is only marginally more so why mess around?

Joe is right ....... I am only talking about machines under warranty.
    Apple approved or not, what makes the memory work in the new Mac Pro's is a heatsink built to Apple certifications. You're asking for trouble if you don't have the heatsink.

BTW, I used Data Memory Systems memory with the heatsink, and nary a problem since January of last year.

Sure, if you need a heatsink, you have to have one.

I am not so sure about the legality of voiding the warranty based on a non-certified part. I though the IBM antitrust case ended that practice some years ago. (They wanted to make you buy their punch cards.)

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by SamReeves View Post
    Apple approved or not, what makes the memory work in the new Mac Pro's is a heatsink built to Apple certifications. You're asking for trouble if you don't have the heatsink.

BTW, I used Data Memory Systems memory with the heatsink, and nary a problem since January of last year.
    at 133mhz bus speeds (my G4) won't be a problem - high speed yes

Joe, your G4 also uses different memory than a MacPro.

Another vote for Data Memory Systems (www.datamem.com).

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    Joe, your G4 also uses different memory than a MacPro.

Another vote for Data Memory Systems (www.datamem.com).
    Ted getting the right memory is not a problem - my mac guy can put 512m sticks in for $45 each