Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Americans: where do you buy your stuff?

Re: Americans: where do you buy your stuff?

I believe (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that the M1 does not have an infrared channel, as the F1 does. No Digital Ice or other infrared cleaning is available on the M1. Depending on your preference, this might make a difference to you.

Rob

Just checked Datamind site - Microtek Artixscan F1 Studio - £699.99 inc vat.

From home page click on 'Scanners' then 'Flatbed + Mictrtek' second one down is F1 Studio

Brian

I'm incapable of making a decision. It's too complicated and I'm just not coping!

What is the difference between a Microtek Artixscan F1 Studio vs HDR vs SE?

As soon as I master the lingo about a scanner, I find there's still the software issues to get to grips with. What is Monarch? Does it matter if it comes packaged with Silverfast rather than Monarch? Arrgh. The choices are too overwhelming. They are clearly designed for consumers who know what they want...not for simple souls who just want a top notch home scanning system...

It'll take me another few weeks to digest the extra info....

PS - the American M1 is 120V or 240V compatible, but isn't supplied with the appropriate transformer for 240V 3 pin UK style.....will ask Microtek if they do that..

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_5419 View Post
    the American M1 is 120V or 240V compatible, but isn't supplied with the appropriate transformer for 240V 3 pin UK style.....will ask Microtek if they do that..
    That usually means that you don't need a transformer just the proper plug to attach it to the mains.

But is it 50/60 Hz? If it isn't things can run incorrectly, like cooling fans and timers.

Interesting, I just looked at the back of the scanner and it says 100-240 and 50-60 BUT there is no external switch.

My best guess is that all the guts are in there but there is no way to do a user conversion. I would also guess that applies to the IR circuitry for ICE.

Rob,
    I just love it. I try to buy from the UK. Best prices on Epson parts!! Lately I just go to e**y for everything. We should trade places like in that movie Parent Trap.But I am too old.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    Interesting, I just looked at the back of the scanner and it says 100-240 and 50-60 BUT there is no external switch.

My best guess is that all the guts are in there but there is no way to do a user conversion. I would also guess that applies to the IR circuitry for ICE.
    Ted,

That usually means that it is auto switching and senses the voltage and Hz of the power supply. We used to sell flash systems that did that. And my MacBook Pro and Braun razor also does that.

Bob could be right but I would be wary of buying anything like this and then running the risk of having to ship it across the ocean for any repair. If you're handy you might be ok but check carefully and also take a close look at warranty terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    Ted, This doesn't matter too much anymore. Most electronic stuff is autoswitched these days. Just check the label and make sure you're within the tolerances. If you can find the plug or plug adapter life is good. I was traveling internationally frequently for work a few years back to both Asia and Europe and all my electronic gear worked fine. Carrying the right plug was usually the problem.

And to Rob, I buy my LF gear from Badger Graphic. I buy my 35mm/digital stuff from either B&H or a local shop. I buy my printer items, and will probably get a scanner from Atlex.com. Atlex has very good prices on Epson components, ink and scanners and the service has been good.

Mel-