Page 66 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast

Thread: Rocks and stones

Re: Rocks and stones

Nice, Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maris Rusis View Post

Rock Mills, Tea Tree Bay

Gelatin-silver photograph on Agfa Classic MCC 111 VC FB, image area 24.6cm X 19.6cm, from a Kodak Plus-X negative exposed in a Nagaoka double extension 8x10 field view camera with a Commercial Congo 360mm f6.3 lens.

Those Rock Mills are Intense.
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail

Thanks takpro and stawastawa. Rocks don't run away so they are good subjects for a view camera. More rocks!

Freshwater Spring, Granite Bay
    Gelatin-silver photograph on Ilford MGD.44M photographic paper, image size 24.6cm X 19.5cm, from a 8x10 Kodak Tmax 400 negative exposed in a Plaubel Profia 8x10 monorail view camera fitted with a 10 inch f6.3 Commercial Ektar lens.
    The trickle of water enables an abstract pattern of algae to survive on the hot dry granite.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

I had posted the color version of this in Images of mistakes - good or bad... Fortunately the FP4+ version is salvageable; no light leak and more exposure latitude.

The Geršuberg basalt cliffs on the Snaefellsnes peninsula, Iceland. Slightly cropped to remove most of the unintentional vignette at top.

July 16, 2016
    Arca-Swiss F-line 4x5
    Caltar-IIn 135/5.6
    f/32 1/2"
    Ilford FP4+ in DD-X
    Epson v700 scan
    Affinity Photo tweak

Quote Originally Posted by baro-nite View Post
    The Geršuberg basalt cliffs on the Snaefellsnes peninsula, Iceland.
    Slightly cropped to remove most of the unintentional vignette at top.
    Unusual subject and interesting composition.
    The B&W version is far more appealing to my eye than the color image.
    Iceland looks like a great place for photography !

The vignette is really not an issue as-is and would probably disappear completely with a slight bit of dodging the upper corners and additional burning in of the clouds along the top edge - i.e. to even everything out.
    I know just enough to be dangerous !

It's nice to see some images from Iceland that are not square, dark Michal Kenna-alike long exposures. That said, I kind of like the one above cropped square! Try it and see what you think: Crop the bottom to leave just the bit of grass at the base of the large boulder, then whatever is needed off the top to get square, leaving a triangle of sky. Just a thought ...

Quote Originally Posted by h2oman View Post
    It's nice to see some images from Iceland that are not square, dark Michal Kenna-alike long exposures. That said, I kind of like the one above cropped square! Try it and see what you think: Crop the bottom to leave just the bit of grass at the base of the large boulder, then whatever is needed off the top to get square, leaving a triangle of sky. Just a thought ...
    Thanks for the idea -- if i do anything with this one I very likely will crop at least some more of the top.

DennisD: Iceland is indeed full of opportunities for the photographer. I found it challenging, though, especially as this was my first visit. One certainly has to be ready to deal with quickly changing light.

Walking along a trail I'll occasionally see a rock like this with tons of mica (I think) embedded in it that sparkles intensely in the sunlight. I've tried now and again to photograph it but it hasn't quite been what I envisioned each time. This one is better but I think maybe I should underexpose a bit and push the film? The sparkling specular highlights are what I am after.

Taken with my 150mm f/9 G-Claron on TMX, dev'd in FX-39:

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Maris Rusis View Post

Rock Mills, Tea Tree Bay

Gelatin-silver photograph on Agfa Classic MCC 111 VC FB, image area 24.6cm X 19.6cm, from a Kodak Plus-X negative exposed in a Nagaoka double extension 8x10 field view camera with a Commercial Congo 360mm f6.3 lens.
    This is very nice!

Maris,my hat is off,
    for others too,Great stuff here!
    Keep them coming guys!!Rock Rocks!
    4x5 fp4,id11,mcc-110
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img210.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	155939