Page 22 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Thread: Rocks and stones

Re: Rocks and stones

A well known Death Valley spot and a rare late-May storm.
    4x5 Technika, Symmar-S 135, Astia 100

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Graham View Post

b&w sand @ Ruby Beach.
    Colin - great photo - I'm going to be in Washington next month to climb and have a free day that I was going to use to drive around the Olympic Penninsula. I was there a few years ago and visited the Hoh rainforest. I going to make another stop there and also would like to photograph some of the coastal areas. Looking for ocean and rocks - what would your vote be if you only had time to visit one or two beach areas on the Olympic Penninsula?
    Thanks
    Tim
    btw - great website - I have it bookmarked and visit it from time to time.
    Last edited by Ken Lee; 23-Jan-2011 at 11:49. Reason: Remove extra image

Some of mine, mostly shot with an Ebony SW23 on Velvia.

First and second one are from the Isle of Arran, Scotland.
    Third one is from Milford Haven in Cornwall and fourth one is from Sussex UK.

Thank you Tim. I'd probably pick Kalaloch/Ruby Beach area. It's a ~20 mile stretch along 101 west of the Hoh Rainforest, with about 6 beach access trails. I have a hard time getting out there in the summer because it's just so busy unless you get there really early in the morning. But some of the beaches do get very long at low tide, so you can always find some isolated spots. I usually find Beach 1 and 2 south of Kalaloch the quietest, Ruby beach the busiest. Ruby has the sea stacks, most of the other beaches are great for bluffs, trees and long open stretches. On a long day I usually hit each beach and spend an hour or so there, so it's usually feels the most productive. It's by far the most accessible.

But then LaPush/Rialto Beaches are also excellent, but a little more time consuming and strenuous- specifically Third Beach-Toleak Point. But there are more dramatic spires and sea stacks along this route. Second Beach has reopened and that's very cool, about a 3/4 mile trip in, but the beach can get a little locked in at high tide. A very nice milder hike is to come in from the Neah Bay trailhead to Point of the Arches/Shi-Shi- probably the most stunning coastal rock forms are around this area. Plus there are fabulous tide pools at low tide. It's 10 miles round trip- some of it through the sloggiest ankle deep mud I've ever seen, but most of it is along the beach between Point of the Arches and Shi-Shi. It's fairly remote up there, I've never seen more than 2 other hikers on any trip any time of year- but I tend to keep to the weekdays.

Hope some if this helps, I obviously have a hard time deciding where to go most mornings!

Andrew Moxom

Brian, Thank you! I have only printed this as a square at 7x7 on 8x10 paper. I know its supposed to be large format, but it was actually done on a mamiya 6 MF

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Graham View Post
    Thank you Tim. I'd probably pick Kalaloch/Ruby Beach area. It's a ~20 mile stretch along 101 west of the Hoh Rainforest, with about 6 beach access trails. I have a hard time getting out there in the summer because it's just so busy unless you get there really early in the morning. But some of the beaches do get very long at low tide, so you can always find some isolated spots. I usually find Beach 1 and 2 south of Kalaloch the quietest, Ruby beach the busiest. Ruby has the sea stacks, most of the other beaches are great for bluffs, trees and long open stretches. On a long day I usually hit each beach and spend an hour or so there, so it's usually feels the most productive. It's by far the most accessible.

But then LaPush/Rialto Beaches are also excellent, but a little more time consuming and strenuous- specifically Third Beach-Toleak Point. But there are more dramatic spires and sea stacks along this route. Second Beach has reopened and that's very cool, about a 3/4 mile trip in, but the beach can get a little locked in at high tide. A very nice milder hike is to come in from the Neah Bay trailhead to Point of the Arches/Shi-Shi- probably the most stunning coastal rock forms are around this area. Plus there are fabulous tide pools at low tide. It's 10 miles round trip- some of it through the sloggiest ankle deep mud I've ever seen, but most of it is along the beach between Point of the Arches and Shi-Shi. It's fairly remote up there, I've never seen more than 2 other hikers on any trip any time of year- but I tend to keep to the weekdays.

Hope some if this helps, I obviously have a hard time deciding where to go most mornings!
    Thanks much - sounds like some good advice - Ruby and Rialto areas were my first choices from the online research I've done - thanks for the first hand opinions. If all goes perfectly, I may be able to spend an evening at Rialto and then the following am in the Ruby area.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Aender Brepsom View Post
    Some of mine, mostly shot with an Ebony SW23 on Velvia.

First and second one are from the Isle of Arran, Scotland.
    Third one is from Milford Haven in Cornwall and fourth one is from Sussex UK.
    Wow, I thought everything is grey in the UK. Nice color work.

Don Bryant

Yes, Aender - Those are gorgeous!

Thank you very much, Don and Kirk. I am very flattered that you like those pictures.
    There are plenty of excellent opportunities in the UK. And no, it does not always rain there ...

Ruins of an old bridge. It's not a wall anymore, just some well aligned stones...

Fomapan 100 9×12cm, Xenar 135mm
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

@ Google+ | @ Facebook | @ flickr

My books @ Blurb (only heavily outdated "Serene Landscape").