Page 86 of 86 FirstFirst ... 3676848586

Thread: Rocks and stones

Re: Rocks and stones

Thank you Philip. This example is copied from a 16x20 print...more recently I've brought it up to 30x40, and it holds together quite well. Hmmm...go to 40x60? Would love to get back to Hole In The Rock Road someday...which does require a bit of ground clearance!

But seriously, I don't recall the word stone is used, by itself, by geologists. (My dad was a geologist, and I have an unused BS in the subject.) But there is sandstone, siltstone, mudstone, which are rocks! Generally, a rock is anything created by deposition (sedimentary rocks), cooling of magma (igneous rocks), or alteration of either of those two types of by application of heat and/or pressure (metamorphic rocks).

Ha! But of course...when did any of my geology profs. use the term "stones" unless using terms such as "sandstone" (et al)...which are also indeed rocks? (I mean...mudrock? sandrock? c'mon!).

But how could I forget this? (hmmm....maybe I was just a little....stoned?)

At any rate - thanks again...and rock on!

Drew Wiley

I studied a lot of geology. Different professors even pronounced terms quite differently at times. In fluvial (stream) geomorphology, we routinely referred to "stones" and "pebbles", and there were even mathematical formulas applied to their sizes and manner of sorting out, whether on river bends or beaches or whatever. In the micropalentology class, the whizz kid had the worst stutter I have ever heard in my life. It would take him seven minutes to pronounce the term, foraminifera. But that didn't make any difference in the oilfields, where he was already making a ton of money on the weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by nachtschwalbe View Post
    Thank you Martin,
    here an other one of this area :
    Attachment 246133
    This is lovely too :-)
    Martin