Page 50 of 86 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Thread: Rocks and stones

Re: Rocks and stones

Keep it up Ken. A good balance between abstraction and appreciation of nature.

Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    Keep it up Ken. A good balance between abstraction and appreciation of nature.
    Thank you. I wonder if these are the kind of pictures that anyone would ever hang on their wall. This is around as far into abstraction as I care to venture.

Massachusetts, 2013
    Kodak 2D, 10 3/4 inch Red Dot Artar
    5x7 HP5+, Pyrocat HDC

Two files, both with 120 Super Angulon and a little bit of filtration, probably a light yellow or none.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC3578.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	98301 Afternoon shadow, Shiprock, New Mexico. The rocks in the shadow were what really interested me, especially the one with the big dark crack in it.

Name:	_DSC3607.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	98302 Rock Cairn, West Hill, 2013. I love this vantage point. Somebody's ashes in a tin in the middle of this. Nice spot.

Name:	_DSC3599.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	98303 Some of my favorite necks at Shiprock, plus the seldom-photographed East Dike. Very late light. 190 Ektar wide-field. Next trip I want to shoot the dike under that same lighting from the top of the little neck on the left. Just need a clear evening.

Ken, I think this series is fantastic! And I would not hesitate to hand images like that on my wall!
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.

Ken I think people would indeed hang these. Great stuff.

Thank you very much. I'll keep going

Robert,
    in the first image the rocks in the shadow didn't call out to me, rather the shadow itself as it portrays the rock formation.

the other two are a joy to see. As I have said I really enjoy these images of ship rock and can't wait to visit.

Robert,

This is not a criticism--I just read your first photo of July 2nd completely wrong when I first saw it. At first glance, it looked to be a beach scene, with the white foam from a wave moving up the beach to the right. The I realized my error---and laughed that it might be a photo taken at the legendary beachfront property in New Mexico.

Great series at Shiprock! Super seeing of your subject.

Keith

Couple of folks thought I was at the beach! Back at Shiprock next week. I'm a noticer of shadows. I like that moving light.

Name:	_DSC2961.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	98646 The Meteorite on the West Dike. One of my old friends. It's not really a meteorite, just a big block that rolled out of the Dike. Light yellow or polarizer. I have four or five photos of this rock that I actually print. Every time I drive past I stop and go up and admire it from a few angles. Really sculptural and massive.

Name:	_DSC3590.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	98647 House shape in the South Dike. 12 inch Ektar I think, maybe the 450 Nikkor. Up the talus slope. No filter. You see these shapes which look simple to shoot from the road....then it turns into quite a struggle to get the camera into the right place. They dissolve when you get close, rocks and grass poke up in the foreground, no place to set camera, slope too slopey, crazy tripod deployment, et. Plus watching for snakes. I thought I had found the perfect camera position on a huge boulder, but when I got up there it was useless. Had to get back down in the tumbled rocks and bumble around.

Used a LOT of camera controls. Plus always checking the level.

These are just copies off the contact proofs that go with the negatives. Haven't enlarged them yet.

Staw: When you go, IM me and I will try to tell you anything helpful I might know, plus mark up a map.