Hi,

I just joined the group today and have been reading some of the threads about the Epson v700 and Newton rings. I just bought the scanner and have just 14 days to return it if it doesn’t perform well. The main reason I bought it is to archive some old 8 x 10 color negatives, about 20 -25 years old. The film is mostly Kodak VPS I and II. Once scanned I want to make 20 x 24 inch prints on my Epson 7800.

I did a test scan or two from some 6 x 7 color neg film and found it to be pretty good. I have a Nikon 8000 and the v700 scan was on par with 8000 from the same negative.

Scanning the 8 x 10 negs has not gone as well. I am getting Newton rings no matter emulsion up, as Epson recommends, or emulsion down. I am using the area guide and that same setting in the document type. It is my understanding that when you check that option in the Epson software you are then scanning with the 4800 ppi lens which can cover the whole bed. And when you check film with holder, as with medium format or 35, you are scanning with the 6400 ppi lens which can not cover the whole bed. Is this true?

I have seen several posts about using ANR glass in the process to eliminate Newton rings. I can seem to put together exactly how this is done from what I have read. Can someone who is doing this describe the process in detail for me? And where do you get the 8 x 10 glass and how much does it cost? And does this give significantly less sharp scan as does my ANR glass carrier for my Nikon 8000.

Has anyone made a homemade holder of sorts to keep the 8x 10 negative from touching the glass? I’m going to give it a try today and will post the results.

I am actually impressed with the scans where there are no Newton rings and the neg is not curling.

One last thing I don’t really understand what the little feet are for on the holders. They are supposed to be adjustable but I don’t see how it is done.

I’m glad to have found this forum and is clearly inhabited by professional folks which is a pleasure. I thank you in advance for any help you can provide.