Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2-3-4 seconds exposure

3d Visual Effects artist

Re: 2-3-4 seconds exposure

the longer the shutter speed, the less precise it really needs to be (at least, that's my impression anyway). I just count at what is roughly 1 second per number, and it's all ok. Since I'm using a 320 speed film, I don't usually have shutter speeds very long, but in the event that I need to for a few seconds or longer, I just count manually.
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

I have a mechanical Prontor Slow Speed shutter release, that releases the shutter between 2-32 seconds. Linhof used to sell these for use in photomacrography applications, but I bought it to use for low-light evening photography. However, I find that I rarely use it, and rey on my watch instead, since the margin of error is so small on the very long exposures that I do use.

I find black and white film more forgiving. Here I might error on the overexposure side if I'm counting out an exposure. If I have given 5 seconds for a 4 second exposure no problem. I have been using Efke 25 speed film and I love the idea above of multiple short exposures to avoid the effects of wind on the landscape; I will try this. Incidentily, color slide film will be less forgiving of exposure timing problems.

The Autoknips self timer had provisions for time exposures. However, it's more convenient to program the computer at the top of your spinal column for this. Practice counting "One thousand one, one thousand two, . . ." while watching or listening to a quartz clock.

"One thousand one, one thousand two, One thousand three, one thousand four... "

I like to start at four seconds and work up by increments of a half stop: 4, sec, six sec (It would be 5.6 sec if I had a fractional ability), 8 sec, eleven sec, sixteen sec, twenty two sec...

The f stop series is convenient to get evenly spaced exposure intervals. And since we deal with it constantly, it's easy to remember.

C

I am not that worried about 2-3-4sec exposures, but I was thinking about the other end: 2-3-4 hr exposure - maybe even longer: 8hrs+

I there any tool that can help you end the exposure after a certain amount of time - automatically? just like the remote controls you have for (e.g.) a canon-dslr? a timer where you can set the duration of the exposure and it will automatically time it and release the shutter? would be really helpful as I have been doing some star-trail shots recently and really would like to sleep - instead of worrying about not waking up in time before sunrise [alarm clocks usually won't wake me up if i slept for less than 4hrs, hehe]

95% of my exposures are between 2-16 seconds. It is very rare I shoot under one second. I use my wristwatch to time most of them. On windy days, I use the mechanical Prontor Slow Speed shutter release (2-64 second range) so that I can concentrate on managing the wind and when it pauses rather then my watch.

I don't know about things in The U.S. but most mobole phones sold over here have a stopwatch option in the programme.
    Best wishes,
    Pete.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

After more years in music than in (LF) photography, I have absolutely no problem counting seconds in a steady beat of 60 bpm. I recon I can time reliably down to 1/4 second with a simple lens cap or hat as a shutter, and up to as long as needed.

Buy an inexpensive Timex or Coleman digital (less than $20) that counts in seconds, and you're all set for however long your exposure is.
    Mike