Page 50 of 91 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Thread: Durst L1840 Enlarger 8x10 10x10--Everything you wanted to know...

Drew Wiley

Re: Durst L1840 Enlarger 8x10 10x10--Everything you wanted to know...

Luis - "they" don't make them at all anymore! The Delta brand name has changed hands quite a few times in recent years, but other than a small quantity of Unisaws still made in Tennesee, everything else is imported from China and a far cry from the glory days. Good cast iron mid-level jointers are still offered by Powermatic up to 12" width. I knew the idiot CEO who ruined Delta - doubt he was capable of plugging in an electric drill - basically one of those former frat presidents who always had a big dumb grin and knew how to schmooze and throw parties, but was otherwise unbelievably incompetent. I really don't know when my floor drill press was made, probably in the 50's. You can get superb Italian drill presses from Wilton for about 2K, but most of the usual suspects are now amateurish Chinese-built imports. Around here, there's an abundance of old shipyard machinery available at bargain pricing. Sometimes you have to switch out a 3-phase motor for a single-phase; but that's generally easy to do.

As you say, they don't make them like they used to. Which is quite true for almost anything. Imagine one day needing an artificial kidney (cloned) its gonna come from china with a designed in disease so you need to get a new one a few years later. Like the Chevy Vega, the first real disposable car. It was cheaper to buy a new one than fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Luis - "they" don't make them at all anymore! The Delta brand name has changed hands quite a few times in recent years, but other than a small quantity of Unisaws still made in Tennesee, everything else is imported from China and a far cry from the glory days. Good cast iron mid-level jointers are still offered by Powermatic up to 12" width. I knew the idiot CEO who ruined Delta - doubt he was capable of plugging in an electric drill - basically one of those former frat presidents who always had a big dumb grin and knew how to schmooze and throw parties, but was otherwise unbelievably incompetent. I really don't know when my floor drill press was made, probably in the 50's. You can get superb Italian drill presses from Wilton for about 2K, but most of the usual suspects are now amateurish Chinese-built imports. Around here, there's an abundance of old shipyard machinery available at bargain pricing. Sometimes you have to switch out a 3-phase motor for a single-phase; but that's generally easy to do.
    How true, for as little as I use my joiner, I'll keep it; it's a short bed 6". Also why I keep my SM-183 stored. Maybe one day I'll have the room to set it up. Until then, I'll get by with my 810 DeVere. L

Ten years in the same location and it looks like it might be time to move. Just to refresh my memory of how I got the enlarger into my darkroom I was reviewing these pictures:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unloading5.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	185279

Name:	unloading3.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	185281

Name:	unloading 2.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	185282

Name:	unloading4.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	185280

So, at the time, since I had limited amount of time to be with the enlarger to move it, I was un able to figure out how to get the camera off the column.
    Well, after ten years, I'm still not sure how to do it, but I have at least a few months to figure it out now.

I believe that the camera will slip off the shaft on which it rotates (annotated in red in the picture). There is no bolt on the end of the shaft holding it together; the shaft fits into a blind pocket. Makes me think if I can remove the worm-gear rotating mechanism, the camera could slide off the shaft. I think there is a flange of some sort also that I can see from the top (no picture of this).

Name:	head underside anotated.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	185283

Those stairs have long fallen apart and have been re-done. The dolly was a make-shift addition at the time. It was starting to rain and we had limited time to move.

For the trek back up those stairs I plan on two larger dollies, one at each end. Also, some safety rope attached to a tree up the hill and probably a winch.

Sounds like you are in for some fun. I hope to move only one more time. Sometime in the next 5-10 years max.

Drew Wiley

I recently was offered another big 184 for free, provided I move it intact. After just recovering from two months of shoulder bursitis misery, I said, No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    So, at the time, since I had limited amount of time to be with the enlarger to move it, I was un able to figure out how to get the camera off the column.
    Well, after ten years, I'm still not sure how to do it, but I have at least a few months to figure it out now.

I believe that the camera will slip off the shaft on which it rotates (annotated in red in the picture). There is no bolt on the end of the shaft holding it together; the shaft fits into a blind pocket. Makes me think if I can remove the worm-gear rotating mechanism, the camera could slide off the shaft. I think there is a flange of some sort also that I can see from the top (no picture of this).

Name:	head underside anotated.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	185283
    Remove the worm-gear and a bronze bar that holds the camera on a groove in the shaft. The groove is difficult to see in the picture. There is a cord resting in it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails head-remove.jpg  

dear god, my Devere 5108 looks miniscule compared to that chassis lol
    notch codes ? I only use one film...