Page 45 of 91 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Thread: Durst L1840 Enlarger 8x10 10x10--Everything you wanted to know...

Re: Durst L1840 Enlarger 8x10 10x10--Everything you wanted to know...

Bob that's great. I'm going to send her a plastic gear but she needed two. Do you have a source for metal ones?
    Last edited by Luis-F-S; 27-May-2017 at 16:07.

No I have two handles and Ginette is a good person and committed to printing so its hers.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Ginette I have one here put aside that is metal the whole arm and gear its slated for you.
    The arm gear is in metal Bob? As I have 2 Durst 184, both with the LAMOT motors, I will like to have them geared correctly and use the motors. The arm is to be able to lower the head when it is jammed at his higher point and that the motor don't wish to get down. But I will take care the next time to not brought the head at the very top, I will put some foam on theses limit rods to be sure that I have some play if the motor jam another time.
    And a good mechanical arm crank is very welcome if one of the motor fails or both, I can use the crank.
    Maybe I did a bad move and break the nylon gear when I took out the motor. The Upper limit rod was so squeezed at the top of the column that I probably twist a little the motor to be able to remove it.

Luis, Jay tried to found theses parts but never be able. Probably that fabrication need to be a large quantity to worth the work on it. Your nylon gear is welcome Luis, I will put it on the motor and have Bob arm is case of motor problem. In fact I broke only one, and I will not remove the other motor to see what gear is there... it is not broken, don't fix it (as a member put in his sig).

Bob, the NuArc wait for you too! Will you come next week? Bring the Durst arm and big arms as NuArc is heavy!
    My Lumen project http://ginetteclement.com

Good idea, don't take out the other Lamot if it's working. I'll get the one gear out on Tuesday; Monday is a holiday. I too have a spare handle in case my Hemot dies, it's plastic gear is in good shape. L

Nice to see some progress on this as I'm not familiar with that style lifting mechanism.

Durst updated the lift mechanism on the L1840 with a worm-gear that runs the length of the whole column.

IC, the L-184 still has a SS worm-gear shaft that runs the full height of the column, the plastic gear rides on the shaft end that mates with worm gear. You can see the shaft between the two chromed columns.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DurstShaft.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	165496

Quote Originally Posted by Ginette View Post
    The arm gear is in metal Bob? As I have 2 Durst 184, both with the LAMOT motors, I will like to have them geared correctly and use the motors. The arm is to be able to lower the head when it is jammed at his higher point and that the motor don't wish to get down. But I will take care the next time to not brought the head at the very top, I will put some foam on theses limit rods to be sure that I have some play if the motor jam another time.
    And a good mechanical arm crank is very welcome if one of the motor fails or both, I can use the crank.
    Maybe I did a bad move and break the nylon gear when I took out the motor. The Upper limit rod was so squeezed at the top of the column that I probably twist a little the motor to be able to remove it.

Luis, Jay tried to found theses parts but never be able. Probably that fabrication need to be a large quantity to worth the work on it. Your nylon gear is welcome Luis, I will put it on the motor and have Bob arm is case of motor problem. In fact I broke only one, and I will not remove the other motor to see what gear is there... it is not broken, don't fix it (as a member put in his sig).

Bob, the NuArc wait for you too! Will you come next week? Bring the Durst arm and big arms as NuArc is heavy!
    Yes the gear is metal- I have hurt my lower back Sciatica probably and I am not fit to drive to Montreal ... am getting better and will keep you informed... I will have Osheen and Hugues ready to help me lift it when I arrive.

I also have a box of paper , it will almost be like christmas in june for Ginette.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    IC, the L-184 still has a SS worm-gear shaft that runs the full height of the column, the plastic gear rides on the shaft end that mates with worm gear. You can see the shaft between the two chromed columns.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DurstShaft.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	165496

L184 looks like a helical rack and pinion drive. But in the L1840 the worm gear (basically a long screw) spins from a motor at the top of the column. That lifts the head without any other rotating gear.

L1840 works just like this little model, but with the motor at the top:

Yes, the plastic slant rack gear is what usually strips and needs to be replaced. It's amazing how a very overbuilt enlarger can be made unusable by a plastic part! If you know of anyone who could make one out of brass, I'll send them my one spare so they can copy it. L

Luis,

It may be possible to measure it up, or even get them 3-D scanned.

I do not know the economics of getting them CNC cut in brass, but as suggested in larger quantity, might be more economical.

How many would sell at the different price points if offered?

I think I will stick to the hand crank on my L184...

Good luck Ginette.

Best wishes to all,

Len