Page 19 of 90 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Thread: Durst L1840 Enlarger 8x10 10x10--Everything you wanted to know...

Re: Durst L1840 Enlarger 8x10 10x10--Everything you wanted to know...

Cory if I understand correctly, your max distance baseboard - negative stage is 60 inch ? Then the max projection from a 8 X 10 will be for, the 240mm 40 inch wide, 300mm 27,5 and for a 360mm 16,5

Hi Gary,

What is the formula that is used to calculate these?
    The Durst book that came with my enlarger has a bunch of these, they are close, but none of them actually work out for me in "real time".

Cory,

With my 184 (which has the same measurement as yours above the neg stage) at an inch or so less than 9 feet for breathing room, rough measures rounded to the nearest inch. (very close to the limit of my unit).
    The table set at 24 inches, (yours is 23 inches, but add the easel).

240mm max print size is 37x27 (full frame 8x10 neg).
    11.5 inches Negative stage to lens center
    44 inches between lens and table

300mm Max print size just a touch under 20x24 ish (19x24 full frame)
    16 inches Negative stage to lens center
    41 inches between lens and table

Quote Originally Posted by Allen in Montreal View Post
    Hi Gary,

What is the formula that is used to calculate these?
    The Durst book that came with my enlarger has a bunch of these, they are close, but none of them actually work out for me in "real time".
    Just put my baseboard / neg-stage at 60" distance. Focused the different lenses and measured the projection.

Quote Originally Posted by gary mulder View Post
    Just put my baseboard / neg-stage at 60" distance. Focused the different lenses and measured the projection.

High tech.....me too.
    And yet our results vary a little. None of the Durst manual's measures are the same as mine either. I would think every lens is a little different but I did not expect to see inches of variation. I have a few 210mm and they are all off from each other, but by a slight amount.

Yes, Gary, 60 inches is the max distance between the base and the negative stage-if the easel is on the floor. That is something I am trying to avoid. Would you actually do that? My knees are bionic and are not happy to be kneeling on concrete, even with a big cushion, so that I can check focus.
    The chart is very helpful. Thanks.

Allen, I appreciate those measurements and will give this some consideration. This afternoon my husband and I tried to set up for a horizontal projection, thinking it might be an option. But although we could swivel the head, we could not get it to lock in place, despite several tries on 2 separate occasions. So without more fiddling around, I am going to rule that out and stick with the original plan for vertical projection.

It looks like a new lens will be the next item! Ok, then. Moving forward. Many thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by cory stickley View Post
    Yes, Gary, 60 inches is the max distance between the base and the negative stage-if the easel is on the floor. That is something I am trying to avoid. Would you actually do that? My knees are bionic and are not happy to be kneeling on concrete, even with a big cushion, so that I can check focus.
    The chart is very helpful. Thanks.
    I am not very familiar with feet and inches but if your ceiling is 9 feet, that is 108 inch. Deduct the hight of the head to neg-stage (25 inch), that leaves 83 inch from neg-stage to floor. Than deduct the table hight (23). This is how I came to the conclusion that using the table as baseboard you have 5 feet from table to neg-stage. Where did I go wrong with my line of thought? If you can give us the correct max hight table - nag stage it will be easy to give you the projection measurement.
    I used a componon-s 240mm , componon-s 300mm and a 360mm process lens that I normally use for 1 to 1 copy's

Cory, I agree that you should look for a 240 or 250mm lens and try vertical projection.

Do you have the L184? If so, the user's manual is in the link below.
    It explains how to lock the head for horizontal projection. A track can be made from steel available at Home Depot.
    http://manuelsphoto.free.fr/durstl184.pdf

Smile Re: Durst L1840 Enlarger 8x10 10x10--Everything you wanted to know...

Quote Originally Posted by gary mulder View Post
    I am not very familiar with feet and inches but if your ceiling is 9 feet, that is 108 inch. Deduct the hight of the head to neg-stage (25 inch), that leaves 83 inch from neg-stage to floor. Than deduct the table hight (23). This is how I came to the conclusion that using the table as baseboard you have 5 feet from table to neg-stage. Where did I go wrong with my line of thought? If you can give us the correct max hight table - nag stage it will be easy to give you the projection measurement.
    I used a componon-s 240mm , componon-s 300mm and a 360mm process lens that I normally use for 1 to 1 copy's
    HI Gary,
    I am not sure but I think that where you went wrong is that the height of the room is irrelevant as long as my enlarger head will go up to maximum height. And it does, with lots of space above. But when it is at max height, there is really only 70 inches (175 cm) between the neg stage and the floor. If you deduct 24 inches (60 cm)for the table and the easel, then that leaves only 46 inches(115 cm), not the 60inches (150 cm). I like your calculations better, but unfortunately, it doesn't work out, I don't think.
    The Durst manual I have is similar to the online version but my wee beastie is even older. NOthing on it is electronic or has push buttons. Pretty basic and just right for me. This is going to work.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Cory, I agree that you should look for a 240 or 250mm lens and try vertical projection.......
    Indeed. The 240 will fine.

IC, have you tested the Fujinar yet?
    Any thoughts on that lens?