Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zeiss Jena Tessar 165mm f4.5

Zeiss Jena Tessar 165mm f4.5

Anybody knows anything about this lens? Like coverage, sharpness, optimal apertu re, etc. I got one and since I can't use it on my 2x3 (physically too large) I d on't know what to do with it. To help deciding, I need to know what I have. (BTW , I know about the Tessar design specifics).

Zeiss Jena Tessar 165mm f4.5

Zeiss Tessars were very good lenses with about 56 to 58 degrees of coverage. This will cover a 4x5 neg, but your movement will be extremely limited. Mount it and try it and you will see. If it is coated it is post WWII and if it is uncoated it is pre WWII. Your biggest problems may be the reliability of the shutter and the very limited movements.

Re: Zeiss Jena Tessar 165mm f4.5

Are you sure about that coverage.

A 135mm Tessar gives good coverage although limited movements on 5x4, so a 165 should be far better.

Ian

I think that a Tessar type does better for coverage than 58deg.
    I have a spreadsheet for calculating image circles from coverage & focal length.
    The 165mm throws a circle of 183mm for 58deg coverage. My figure for a Tessar type of 62deg gives a 198mm circle.
    However if you can't mount it on your 2x3 then it is no good to you.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

The 165mm tessar was made to give a little bit of movements on 10x15cm, which is quite a bit larger than 4x5" (about 9.8x12.6cm effective).

Indeed it was a common "normal lens" for "Postkartengrösse" (post card format) cameras.

SF Bay Area 94303

I am not sure Zeiss ever made a bad lens in Germany. Someone correct me, but if it says Zeiss Jena, it was manufactured before the Goerz Zeiss merger in 1927, after that it was Zeiss Ikon. Tessar lenses are in general very good, they just have slightly less useful coverage than plasmats. People are paying over $500 for Kodak 14 inch and Nikkor 300mm tessars. They also have fewer elements than plasmats which were really not practical until coatings were invented due to internal flare. If not damaged, optically these lens are excellent. I have a 210mm Zeiss Jena Tessar that covers 8X10, I am not sure how good the cornerns are but there is light. As mentioned above, the problem will be the 70-100 year old shutter. The lenses come in compur or compound shutters that can usually be fixed, sometimes not. The elements do not directly fit in modern shutters, adapters have to be machined and usually by that time a modern lens and shutter purchased from Ebay makes more economic sense. K

The 150 mm 4.5 tessars made in the late fifties for Linhof
    by Carl Zeiss Oberkochen are extremely sharp and with
    some movement.

Actually a cheaper alternative to the Carl Zeiss Tessar and with better performance too is to use the bottom of an old glass Coke bottle. If you can find one and saw the bottom end off you'll be amazed and stunned at how no-one will be able to tell the difference!

Smile Re: Zeiss Jena Tessar 165mm f4.5

Quote Originally Posted by CP Goerz View Post
    Actually a cheaper alternative to the Carl Zeiss Tessar and with better performance too is to use the bottom of an old glass Coke bottle. If you can find one and saw the bottom end off you'll be amazed and stunned at how no-one will be able to tell the difference!
    In the deepest dungeon of a ruined castle, somewhere in Scotland, are the remains of three trash bins. It is still possible to barely make out the labels on them. The first says, "Coca-Cola glass," the second, "Zeiss Tessars," and the third, "brass-bound lenses of enormous focal lengths and uncertain ancestry." Someone has been rummaging through them for the past several years.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

EGADS! You swam the moat, stormed the walls, made your way through a labyrinth of corridors, through thick oak doors, bending ancient iron bars blocking your way to make it to the vault!!! You deserve a look ;-)