Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kodak 305 mm portrait lens. Help Please!!!

Re: Kodak 305 mm portrait lens. Help Please!!!

Mark Sawyer: "I'll offer that the 300mm Imagon is a nice alterantive to the Kodak 305mm Portrait lens."

Not entirely sure that I would agree; not having a 300mm Imagon I can't make a side-by-side comparison, but the 250 Imagon (particularly with the H-stop disks) has a different "character" when compared to the Kodak. The Imagon seems to produce an image which "dissolves" much more quickly towards the edges of the frame, and transitions between a light edge and dark background have a very clearl boundary that I don't find all that attractive. The H-stops cause the highlights to have a "star pattern" that can be distracting as well.

Thanks to all of you for the great replies and advises. This forum, to me, is sometimes better than an average library for its whealth of information and the willingness of so many of you to help so quickly.. Great work et Merci !!!!
    Pierre

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Harold_4074 View Post
    Mark Sawyer: "I'll offer that the 300mm Imagon is a nice alterantive to the Kodak 305mm Portrait lens."

Not entirely sure that I would agree; not having a 300mm Imagon I can't make a side-by-side comparison, but the 250 Imagon (particularly with the H-stop disks) has a different "character" when compared to the Kodak. The Imagon seems to produce an image which "dissolves" much more quickly towards the edges of the frame, and transitions between a light edge and dark background have a very clearl boundary that I don't find all that attractive. The H-stops cause the highlights to have a "star pattern" that can be distracting as well.
    If you use the Imagon only with the h/stops, you're missing out on a whole 'nother aspect or the lens. The Compound shutter has a conventional diaphragm, and it works quite well with the Imagon.

I'd love to see comparison images between the Kodak Portrait and Imagon lenses. From the different images I've seen from both, they don't seem that far apart in their effect, though I could be wrong.

A landmark event would be a soft-focus workshop/get-together where a number of us could bring together a wide selection of these beasts and put them through their paces...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

A landmark event would be a soft-focus workshop/get-together where a number of us could bring together a wide selection of these beasts and put them through their paces...

Quote Originally Posted by pierre salomon View Post

Let's do it in Tonopah

Let's do it in Tonopah
    And let's do it in Easter weekend