Page 513 of 756 FirstFirst ... 13413463503511512513514515523563613 ... LastLast
Results 5,121 to 5,130 of 7557

Thread: post your trees!

Kevin Kolosky

Re: post your trees!

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    Roger; thanks!

Kevin, I do appreciate the honesty of your opinion. What we like is certainly subjective and I don't expect everyone to like my photos.
    If I may discuss it, what do you see as the subject and what is SF better used for?
    I see soft focus as an attempt to get away from what is really there. To hide something. It is used in portraiture to soften blemishes and age lines in skin, etc.
    I do like the shapes in the photo though. The most interesting to me are where the tree trunks and bushes meet the snow. Those sort of cone like shapes are interesting. I don't see it as being anything other than a tree and snow though. I am not one who looks at a photo and then recites all of the words in a dictionary to say what it is, what it looks like, what it feels like, and all of that. The photograph itself tells me what I need to know. To me photography is about the thing photographed, which in this case are some trees in the snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin J. Kolosky View Post
    I see soft focus as an attempt to get away from what is really there. To hide something. It is used in portraiture to soften blemishes and age lines in skin, etc.
    I do like the shapes in the photo though. The most interesting to me are where the tree trunks and bushes meet the snow. Those sort of cone like shapes are interesting. I don't see it as being anything other than a tree and snow though. I am not one who looks at a photo and then recites all of the words in a dictionary to say what it is, what it looks like, what it feels like, and all of that. The photograph itself tells me what I need to know. To me photography is about the thing photographed, which in this case are some trees in the snow.
    Thanks! I differ in style/thought and think photography can be either a little bit or very much about the thing photographed on a wide scale. In nature photos, what the SF hides is detail that I might think be distracting or not needed. Someone else might use thin DOF and a sharp lens to accomplish that. Here's a sharper MF photo of the same scene: https://www.flickr.com/photos/137596...posted-public/ . Both are an abstract photo where it's less about the tree and more about shapes and light. I think the soft style can sometimes do a better job at being abstract but not always. I don't like too many words either.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin J. Kolosky View Post
    I see soft focus as an attempt to get away from what is really there. To hide something.
    I believe that a SF lens will bring in something what is really there, maybe a beautyful light, a soft charactere..

In the opposite of hiding something, the soft lens here brings to me a wonderful softened snow in the first picture.

Ritchie

Alley pond park..my mom took me there as a baby!! Only 1000 years ago..nice pix too...glad to see the place is still there

8x10 blue xray EI50, super angulon 165/8, parodinal ca. 1:150 10 minutes constant agitation, 4990 scan, split toning and local contrast enhancements in Photoshop

One of my favorite trees.

Wehman 8x10, 250mm f/4.7 Fujinar, Delta 100, FX-39

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Giant Trees, Snow Gum Grove
    Gelatin-silver photograph on Fomabrom Variant III VC FB photographic paper, image size 24.5cm X 19.5cm, from a 8x10 Fomapan 200 negative exposed in a Tachihara 810HD triple extension field view camera fitted with a Schneider Super Angulon 121mm f8 lens. Signed, titled, and stamped verso.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

Quote Originally Posted by Maris Rusis View Post

Giant Trees, Snow Gum Grove
    Gelatin-silver photograph on Fomabrom Variant III VC FB photographic paper, image size 24.5cm X 19.5cm, from a 8x10 Fomapan 200 negative exposed in a Tachihara 810HD triple extension field view camera fitted with a Schneider Super Angulon 121mm f8 lens. Signed, titled, and stamped verso.
    You have such neat looking trees down under
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

Quote Originally Posted by scheinfluger_77 View Post
    You have such neat looking trees down under
    These are some of Australia's highest altitude trees. The one in the lower right corner has a trunk about 20 feet in circumference. It's lucky they all grow crooked or they would have been saw-logs a hundred years ago!
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

Corran, Do you have soft at 4.5-5.6-8 of Zeiss 150/4.5?