Page 425 of 756 FirstFirst ... 325375415423424425426427435475525 ... LastLast
Results 4,241 to 4,250 of 7557

Thread: post your trees!

Re: post your trees!

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    No mocking needed. As far as I'm concerned, the cropped photo is fine.

The guidelines are reached by pressing the Usage Guidelines tab above.

Rick "carry on" Denney
    That contradicts what was said in the new rules thread, I'll go back and re-read it. I swear it was said that cropping smaller than 4" on the shorter side meant the film image was no longer LF because you now go by film size not camera type. Sorry if I misread but you guys were pretty clear about that.

Rdenny, not to be a pain but according to Ken Lee... I'm correct...

Post #53

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...d.php?t=116888

Shouldn't crop to something "much less" on 4x5 film?

I missed that thread, but it sounds like where a crop meets that threshold is still under consideration by our fearless leaders.

For context, I hope the moderators review these VERY tiny but brilliant crops from 5x7 film by QT:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...g/example.html

"Those close-ups," QT says, "were extracted from the [full frame] image below. Each of them contains enough detail to make a sharp photograph on its own. Click on them to view."

Cropping LF film, whether under an enlarger or in digital processing, and no matter how aggressively done, is, I think, one of the great benefits of our beloved format!

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    Shouldn't crop to something "much less" on 4x5 film?

I missed that thread, but it sounds like where a crop meets that threshold is still under consideration by our fearless leaders.

For context, I hope the moderators review these VERY tiny but brilliant crops from 5x7 film by QT:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...g/example.html

"Those close-ups," QT says, "were extracted from the [full frame] image below. Each of them contains enough detail to make a sharp photograph on its own. Click on them to view."

Cropping LF film, whether under an enlarger or in digital processing, and no matter how aggressively done, is, I think, one of the great benefits of our beloved format!
    Just read post 53 in the link I provided.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Just read post 53 in the link I provided.
    Sorry, I wasn't too clear...

Ken's post #53 is what I was responding to, including some follow-up posts, so thanks for pointing it out in your link!

Where such a cropping threshold exists (if it does at all) deserves its own thread and a healthy forum discussion. I'm certain the moderators would be interested in our thoughts if they're considering a concrete guideline about it.

In any case, we should keep the trees in this thread out of the shadow of that potentially long and likely cantankerous discussion! ;^)

post your trees!

There is no concrete guideline about cropping. The image in question was the full dimension of 4x5 film in one direction and cropped to a more pleasing shape for that scene. It was originally made on 4x5 film.

We are all capable of exercising reasonable judgment about how much cropping is reasonable.

Read Post 75 in that other thread, and you'll see that Ken and I agree that we prefer judgment over rules on cropping.

If you see a post that you think is unreasonable, please report it rather than policing it.

Rick "now, back to trees" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by JeRuFo View Post

Twickel, Fomapan 100 4x5, Nikkor 90/4.5
    Sorry, I know this is old, but I nearly fell off my chair. That is an utterly amazing image. Thankyou for sharing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	orzech2.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	233.8 KB 
ID:	123202

4x5
    210mm
    Fp4 (@200asa) rodinal 1:50
    N

Quote Originally Posted by gogo120 View Post

4x5
    210mm
    Fp4 (@200asa) rodinal 1:50
    N
    Fantastic shot gogo. Has a very fresh feeling. Lovely light everywhere and it just works.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexGard View Post
    Sorry, I know this is old, but I nearly fell off my chair. That is an utterly amazing image. Thankyou for sharing.
    Much appreciated Alex, glad you like it.
    A puny body weakens the soul.
    Paul Cezanne

This is an utterly amazing image. If I ever got one image like that I would sit content forever after.

Quote Originally Posted by JeRuFo View Post

Twickel, Fomapan 100 4x5, Nikkor 90/4.5

I spent a lovely foggy morning at a nearby estate last saturday.

While I was shooting a man, who was walking his dog, came standing next to me and said 'Do you see something I don't see?'
    Turns out he thought I was looking for a special bird or something, but I was quite puzzled for a while. When I told him I was shooting the wider view he went on and let his dog of the leash so he could swim for a few minutes, right in front of my camera!
    I'm quite used to people coming up to me when I'm shooting LF, but usually they try to disturb me or the view as little as possible. Never had someone stand right in front of the camera for a few minutes. Luckily it was a very quiet morning and I wasn't in a rush, but with changing light I would have been a little annoyed.