Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 12x20 Where to begin!!

Just waiting to be developed..

Re: 12x20 Where to begin!!

Hi Tim,

Here are 3 photos of the Korona (I will try to get some better ones up soon)
    These were taken after i received the camera back from Turner Bellows.
    UPS damaged the camera so i took these for the claim. The camera is fine now.

The GG isn't in these. I had to remove it for the inspection. It is in surprisingly good condition for 70+ year old camera.
    My grandfather also gave me 2 holders but one is missing a dark slide. I have to figure out how to fabricate a new one.

-Ian Mazursky
    www.ianmazursky.com Travel, Landscape, Portraits and my 12x20 diary
    PrePress Express

tim810

[QUOTE=

Tim, have fun with the 12x20. When the format gets bigger I find myself slowing way down and making sure everything is right before I remove the lens cap. No shutter needed. Would be nice if I could afford one!

Jim[/QUOTE]

I am looking forward to slowing down. Everything else in life moves too fast. About the shutter. I don't have one either. I don't even think there is a shutter that my lens will mount on, it's 135mm in diameter at the base of the lens board. A Sinar shutter would be ok I guess but I am kindof streatching my budget as it is. A lens cap will be fine for now!!!

Cheers
    Tim

tim810

Ian,
    Thats a beautifull camera. As for the dark slides you might call AWB. I am actually going to call and see if they ever come across dark slides that are slightly cracked. I want one to use as a mask for 6x20. I think that would be a great format. I do this with my 8x10 to make 2 4x10s on one. If you find any info out about this let me know.
    Well I am excitedly off to the post office. It has to be here today!!!!

Pics will be posted soon

cheers
    Tim

tim810

I got her!!! (the 12x20 is here)
    I can't take any photos of her till tomorrow. I can't wait to take her out and shoot her. I won't get a film holder till later next week. This will give me time to get familiar with the camera.

Well I will post photos tomorrow!
    Tim

tim810

The only thing I am waiting for is a film holder.
    My birthday was very fruitful, I received a 19" APO Artar in ILEX 4, and a 355 Schneider Conv. I think I will be set for lenses for a while now. My lens case weighs almost as much as the camera. The 600 Ronar is a beast 7.5lbs. I am hoping to go shoot next weekend. As long as the weather is good in VT (not in FEB) I will get the film holder next week. I will post a scan of the first neg I shoot.
    Cheers everyone
    Tim

tim810

Hi all,
    I just ditched the end of one of my classes today (the light was awesome and I didn't want to miss it) to shoot my 12x20 "finally". I Went just behind my apt and found something I have been yearning to shoot for quite a while now. This shot also is fairly straight on (except placement of shadows). I found my spot and started setting up (another positive to choosing this location as the car is only 10 feet away from me). Tripod down in aprox location, Leveled, Camera rail on tripod (check its levels), front standard on (make sure it is still level), invert camera back to vertical position (make sure it is level), attach bellows to front standard, attach 19" Artar to lens board, COMPOSE. Since I kinda knew where I needed to be there was little adjustment to be made, but I found that no matter what I did There was an unwanted car in the background (I am trying to do as much as I can not to ruin the shot, why ruin it with a misplaced car). After careful thought I decided to use the 24" APO Ronar instead even though it has no shutter I felt this lens was what I needed for the shot. Initially I felt that attacking a first shot with the camera and using a lens without a shutter in some ??able wind was too much, but I decided to do it anyway. Another factor I didn't have to think of much before was the sagging bellows in my photo. Luckily I had watched RR's video and attached a couple of clips to my front standard. I metered the shot at highlights (f90@4sec) and shadowes (f32@4sec). The corrected exposure as I calculated was (f45@4sec), I wanted just a little more time for the exposure but not so much as to cause need for reciprocity correction so I opted to shoot it at (f128@16sec). I immediately put my lens cap on, and put the film holder in and pulled the dark slide. I waited to make sure the wind was quiet and pulled the cap counted down on my watch and closed the cap. I made sure to put the dark slid back in.
    I decided to take one more shot and since the car had since moved I was able to use the 19" Artar. I recomposed making sure everything was right, double checking everything. I loaded the film holder and closed the shutter on the lens and was about ready to pull the dark slide...... and a mini van pulls up in front of my set up and the driver asks me what I am shooting. She gets out of the car and asks if I am shooting her. HUH?????? I say. She starts to tell me that this pile of junk (milk crates covered in trash bags, old pie tins with cat food in them) is "HER". She goes on to tell me of a cat that got caught in the fence near by in the rail yard and she saved it. Since than she has saved 10 more. She and this old man feed the cats and check on the cats "Housing" from time to time. This 93yo man goes behind his wifes back when she is at the grocery to feed these cats. ........ Well this was a really interesting story, especially the part of the old man (he would be great to photograph). BUT ..... while she was telling me the story the light for the shot I had just set up was GONE> I did get the first shot though, developed it in PMK just an hour later and will contact print it tomorrow. Does this happen often. With the 8x10 I usually get awkward looks and possibly a What the hell is that, sometimes even a honk when I am under the dark cloth (assholes).
    Well I will post the result of my first 12x20 contact print in the next week. Cheers everyone, and thanks for listening to my ramble!!
    Tim
    Last edited by tim810; 14-Feb-2008 at 20:11. Reason: bad wording (I am not a writer)