Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a tripod head

Looking for a tripod head

I just got back from a short walk with my lovely wife. I had my Berlebach 3032 with a Gitzo R3 head and she a Berleback 2024 with a Bogen head with the octagonal quick release. Several times she complained about that head. The QR plates are too big....the plate doesn't lock solidly into the head and it jiggles while she's shooting. I couldn't detect any jiggling, but I'm too old and wise to argue with the better half. If she says it jiggles, it jiggles. But imagine the trouble I got into the last time I pointed out something that jiggled.

So my question is this...what kind of tripod head can I get for her that has a QR plate that doesn't stick out from the camera so far and mounts solidly onto the tripod head. It's gotta be a pan tilt. She hates ball heads.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Re: Looking for a tripod head

I'm not fond of the hex plates either. Can't ever seem to get them tight enough on the camera so it keeps slipping one way or the other.

My favorite is the Bogen/Manfrotto 410. I use it on a Gitzo Studex and love the rectangular plate (tightened with a coin so it's really secure) and the best part is the micrometer adjustments in all three directions. It has coarse and fine movements for extremely fine positioning plus I get almost no "jiggle" out of it. It is also great for medium format and 35mm.

I have absolutely nothing bad to say about it.

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

I would totally agree with the Manfrotto 410. I have one on a Gitzo GT2530LVL, what a superb combination. Like lenser, I find the vernier/fast adjustment options in three planes to be totally indispensable.

The Manfrotto is without question, the best head I have ever used. I use it with my Arca-Swiss Monolith, Linhof Technikardan 45S, Wista SP, and Canon 1DMKII. The geared movements are the best compromise. Ball heads may be very durable and rigid and yet they are NOT precise.
    I have had too many to admit......this is the way to go!
    Take care,
    Mike

Although it's not made for it, I've even used this head with an old 8x10 Ansco Wooden flat bed (about the size of an Eastman 2D) and a heavy lens with no problems. (Manfrotto makes a heavier version for 8x10 and larger.)

The 410 is a thing of beauty for 4x5 and smaller.

Your wife will love it and I bet you'll grab one for yourself almost immediately.

Enjoy.

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Sounds like the one to shop around for. Thanks for all the help. It's easier when the opinion is unanimous.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

Is this the head you got from me?

If so just tell her to push closed the QR latch when she mounts the camera. Then it fits nice and snug with no wiggle or jiggle. That's how these work, I've had several and use one now.

Or you could listen to her and be lots better off than listening to anything I say.

<grin>

Maybe that's what's happening. Like I said. I've used it a few times and I didn't have any problems with it. Worked great. My biggest problem is Coordination Deficiency Syndrome. Lining it up challenges my limited dexterity. But that would be the case whatever I got. I will suggest that to her. Thanks, Henry.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ambrose View Post
    Is this the head you got from me?

If so just tell her to push closed the QR latch when she mounts the camera. Then it fits nice and snug with no wiggle or jiggle. That's how these work, I've had several and use one now.

Or you could listen to her and be lots better off than listening to anything I say.

<grin>
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

I have the Manfrotto 410, too, and on days without wind I mount the Wehman on it, and that works. Sadly, even a big tripod feels twice as heavy with that head.

The Arca Swiss clamp systems are the only QR systems I'd use. It's about time that Manfrotto/Bogen redesigned those hex-plates, no ?