Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BBC series - the genius of photography

Re: BBC series - the genius of photography

Well done Joanna.... this site is much more than just an online photo album... clarification of copyright issues is important.

Thanks... Annie

... oh and Alan by the way... YouTube is currently involved in one of the largest copyright lawsuits in history so I would not rely on them as the absolute as to what is proper usage of material.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie M. View Post
    by the way... YouTube is currently involved in one of the largest copyright lawsuits in history so I would not rely on them as the absolute as to what is proper usage of material.
    Perhaps we should leave it to YouTube and the other party to sort it out legally, then, before playing "concerned citizens"? We still live, or at least are supposed to live, in a society based on presumption of innocence and on burden of proof.

But yeah, I agree, good job everybody, yet another interesting and potentially useful thread killed, efficiently and thoroughly. And it took only a few messages this time while in the past it usually took about 30 or so before the nastiness even started.

Off the main topic here, but what the Hell, the thread is already shot anyway - I really hope there is still someone left up there who's concerned about the direction this forum seems to be taking lately, because it already bears very little resemblance to the LF forum of a year or two ago, when people came here to have a friendly discussion about photography AND other intellectual topics. There was an occasional flame war here and there, but it would usually start long into the otherwise lively and meaningful discussion and the only causes were Pyro, VC and Jorge. Oh, and JJ - those of us who remember JJ will know what I have in mind.

Joanna is right.

This series is available to download from multiple very public places and based on this I made the assumption that the content was unencumbered. I should not have assumed this, especially as a photographer.

I have removed the files.

Well done Alan.... I can hardly wait until the series is broadcast here... before this thread I didn't even know it existed.

Thanks... Annie
    Last edited by Annie M.; 6-Jan-2008 at 09:56. Reason: working on my spelling

Thanks Alan, I'm sorry if I came on strong, it just really gets to me when people think they have a right to copy stuff. My stand costs me plenty but, at least it gives me the right to get protective about my own work. Nonetheless, at least folks got to know about the series.

Yes.... the series will be aired here starting January 25... anyone want me to copy it for them? (kidding!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Annie M. View Post
    Yes.... the series will be aired here starting January 25...
    And where is "here"?

This is simptomatic of people like Marko who only use digital and belive they have a right to copy and do whatever they want. They complaint about people who rightly so point out that posting copyright material is wrong no matter how well intentioned was the purpose of the posting.
    And the complain on the basis that "you are no nasty"..... Joanna, you did nothing wrong, nor where you comming on "too strong". You rightly so pointed out something that was wrong and should not be allowed in this forum.

I do commend ageroge for listening and removing the links, I would have loved to see the series, but I will wait until I can do it legally.

Jorge, I'm waiting for it to be shown here in Turkey, but pigs will probably fly first, or it will be dubbed.

It would be excellent if the BBC was to broadcast programmes like this on the international BBC channels available on cable and satellite. But I guess they'd prefer to sell the programmes to other TV stations.

Ian

I can watch BBC America, but I doubt it will be aired there...