Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BBC series - the genius of photography

BBC series - the genius of photography

edit
    Last edited by ageorge; 5-Jan-2008 at 17:21. Reason: couldn't verify copyrights

Re: BBC series - the genius of photography

Just out of curiosity, do you have permission from the BBC to post copies of copyright material ?

Probably not, it appears this guy just does whatever the hell he wants without any thought.

If you really think that any production company allows unlimited distribution of their material, then you are mistaken. Just because other sites may have made this content available doesn't mean you can do likewise. I note that you have removed the link from your original post, do you not think it wise to remove the content from your site also ?

Since the BBC is a government run monopoly, it does release many of its shows as freely distributable downloads. The Brits pay a specific tax to cover the BBC thus their content is treaded more liberally than a the typical private company would. The BBC even has their own media player for this purpose. I couldn't confirm that this series was released in this way and is why I removed the post.

The rather popular photo log below has links to youtube, straight video, and bit torrent links.

http://www.shanelavalette.com/journa...f-photography/

Quote Originally Posted by ageorge View Post
    Since the BBC is a government run monopoly,
    No it isn't. A monopoly is an entity that is the only source of supply for a comodity; there are plenty of other broadcasters here in the UK.

it does release many of its shows as freely distributable downloads. The Brits pay a specific tax to cover the BBC thus their content is treaded more liberally than a the typical private company would. The BBC even has their own media player for this purpose.
    True but most of what they, along with other broadcasters make available is either limited in its content or duration. And that which they do make available is not *re-*distributable. Broadcasters choose their distribution channels with a view to making revenue through those channels, yes, even the BBC has to pay its own way otherwise we citizens would have to pay a lot more than the £135.50 per year that we pay now.

Since you are not even a licence payer in the UK, I have to ask what makes you think you have a right to freely give away something that I have had to pay for, even if I were not to watch it?

The rather popular photo log below has links to youtube, straight video, and bit torrent links.
    Just because someone else has the nerve to rip off copyright work doesn't make it right. Or how would you like it I obtained copies of your photographs and made money out of selling them and not even giving you acknowledgement of being the author, let alone any of the proceeds of the sales? If I may quote from your website...

© 2007 Alan George. All rights reserved. Images may not be reproduced in any form without the express written permission of the copyright holder.

I note that you still haven't removed the content from your website, don't you think, given that you are also a content producer possibly hoping that people won't rip you off, that it would be a good idea not to taint your reputation with such malpractice, and remove the content, not just the link?

Oh, and dont forget the link you have left on digitalimagecafe, or is that why you have retained the content?

Convert to LF

Hi all,

I think this thread should be moved to the lounge.
    What started as an innocent and friendly link to an interesting movie turned to arguments between lawyers!
    It would be nice not to monitor others' activities and behaviour with a watchful juridical eye all the time, but to think photography!
    I believed it was the purpose of this large format forum.
    Stop arguing about the law and show us your pictures, please.

Maretz

NB: if it can be downloaded, then it might be copyright-free.

Quote Originally Posted by Maretzo View Post
    What started as an innocent and friendly link to an interesting movie turned to arguments between lawyers!
    I am definitely not a lawyer, just someone who makes her living out of my creativity, both as a software consultant and as a photographer.

It would be nice not to monitor others' activities and behaviour with a watchful juridical eye all the time, but to think photography!
    I believed it was the purpose of this large format forum.
    I'm sorry, you obviously wouldn't mind if someone took money out of your bank account without permission, denying you the funds you need to live. Infringement of copyright costs people their livelihoods. If we all just took what we wanted without paying, then there would be a lot of people, including ourselves, that could no longer make enough money to support ourselves and some would even resort to theft, just to survive.

And talking of theft, that is exactly what the unauthorised copying and distribution of copyright material amounts to.

Stop arguing about the law and show us your pictures, please.
    Ah, so you can use them without my permission to make money for yourself?

NB: if it can be downloaded, then it might be copyright-free.
    The BBC programs in question here are not available for free download either from the BBC or from Wall to Wall Productions, the files that are available would have to have been ripped from a DVD or digital TV broadcast. Whilst it may be fine to make recordings of programs for your own use, the redistribution or rebroadcasting of those programs to other people is theft, pure and simple.

As I said in my last reply to Alan, how would you like it if I made my living ripping off your images and selling them without your consent?

I tend to agree with Joana. I went and looked at the files. They are all RAR file segments which need to be pieced together to be useable ... doesn't necessarily mean they are pirated content but it is a strong indication as this is a common method used for the distribution of pirated material.

Without angering anyone else regarding the topic of copyright ...

As an expat Brit living in Canada, I have to say that North American TV sucks. The BBC is an incredible broadcaster with excellent content. Without this post I would never have known that this series even existed. It's highly unlikely that it would have made it over to North America either as broadcast or even DVD (which I would have been more than happy to purchase).

I do get BBC Canada in my digital cable package, but they seem to concentrate on reruns of Absolutely Fabulous and EastEnders (god help us).

If only the beeb would have a worldwide satellite or cable distribution !!!

Now, if you do want to get into piracy, how many photography enthusists and even pros have pirated copied of Photoshop or Lightroom on their computers and make money from them ?? Before anyone asks, I have paid for and licensed copies of both, despite the fact that my revenue from photography can barely justify the cost.