Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heading to Yosemite tomorrow

Dave Karp

Heading to Yosemite tomorrow

Hi all,

I am heading up to Yosemite tomorrow for a few days. Of course, I forgot to look at any of the webcams today. I see the forecast is for rain toward the end of the week. How is the valley looking now? (Besides dark )

Re: Heading to Yosemite tomorrow

I haven't looked at the webcams for two days -- but before that there was snow on the Valley floor.

If the weather is too wet to photograph, stop by the Ansel Adams Gallery...there is a B&W show up right now with images by "Ansel Adams, Jeffrey Conley, Charles Cramer, Vaughn Hutchins, Bob Kolbrener and Alan Ross". Don't know who that first guy is, but the others aint too bad.

Looks like your first day or so will be very nice -- and perhaps that rain in the latter part of the week will turn to snow instead of waiting until the weekend as forecasted. Seems to be a rather warm storm to start off with...the weather satellite images look interesting.

A great way to start out the New Year! Have fun!

Vaughn

To see how the light was today on the Valley Floor, check this out:

http://halfdome.net/cams/ahw_movie_01.php
    Last edited by Vaughn; 31-Dec-2007 at 22:30. Reason: link added

Dave, have a great trip! I know you will, hard to go wrong in that neck of the woods.

Best,
    Merg

Dave Karp

Thanks to both of you.

A bit of rain might get some water going in the falls. Then some snow. Perfect.

My favorite place. And we do always visit the Gallery. If it is raining hard, maybe we will go for a print viewing. Sounds like a great show.

I'll be up there on wednesday. Supposedly the storm isn't supposed to hit until thursday or so but who can say for sure...? It is supposed to be very foggy in the San Joaquin Valley the next few days (we even have a "dense fog warning") which usually means that in the mountains it will be sunny and clear, so allow for extra time when going up 99 and be sure to take chains or cables along---they'll ask at the gate.

Have a great trip!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

hi..new to forum

i was just there 4 days ago. cold. snow. merced is low but flowing. falls are near non-existant this time of year anyway. light arc does not hit the face of half dome anytime right now, but el capitan is hit perfectly.

if youre going to meriposa sequoia (sp?) groves, expect to walk the 2 miles up to trailhead; road is closed just past the 41 entrance.

as a sidenote...both days i was there, jet exhaust streams across the valley were a constant threat. i guess they like to screw up our shots

best news..not a lot of people now. dress warm and have fun!

im developing my shots today..

happy new year
    mike

Dave Karp

Thanks again all.

John: Chains are ready to go. Thanks for the fog warning. Our reservations are for tomorrow. We will drive up tonight, and if the fog is too bad we will just stop in Tulare or somewhere and get on the road early in the morning.

Mike: Don't you just love those contrails? It is OK. I have been there so much, there are plenty of details to photograph.

Plenty of film packed. Too bad Fotoman's WP holders are not ready yet. I do have 4 though. And I am bringing the Walker too.

Mike, one small correction regarding the light on Half Dome this time of year. It actually does strike the face between 2:30 pm and 5 pm (sunset) when it is clear to the west. It is also some of the most dramatic light that landmark receives, as it is strongly sidelit, highlighting the texture of the cliff face.

It is possible to see this on the various webcams at the halfdome.net that point toward Half Dome, including the one that Vaughn has provided the link for, which is attached to post of my former residence on The Ahwahnee Meadow.

With cameras (all visible at yosemite.org and halfdome.net) in the park pointing east and west, it is possible to get a really good idea of what the light does at specific times, since the webcams also post the local time and temperature.

Those webcams are the coolest way to see the valley. Also check out halfdome.net for some of the archives. If I could only mount my view camera like that, with a very remote remote.
    -Brad

Storms are supposed to be rolling in. The coldest storm is to hit Sunday and Monday. Be prepared for a lot of snow. I am really jealous! I was there on Thurs through Sunday. Got some snow on Thurs night, but I would have been happy with more.

Have a great time.