Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sinar:from 4x5 to 5x7

Sinar:from 4x5 to 5x7

Hello Guru's, I'd like to take advantage of my Sinar F1 4x5 system to take a test dive into 5x7 format.
    Let's say it will be just occasional landscape b&w shooting and contact printing, so I'm looking for a "cheap" solution.
    First I saw the Sinar 4x5-to-5x7 conversion kit does not fit the F-type standard, so I should buy a P-type rear standard, is it right?
    In case i find a P front standard only, would it be usable as a rear with just the knobs on the wrong side?

The other opportunity I'm considering in a more shy manner is to buy a 5x7 field camera: the issue here is I would like to use the same lensboards of my Sinar, maybe some other accessories too if possible.
    Is there a field 5x7 view camera with a 4x5 reducing back you can suggest?

thank you in advance
    Andrea

Big Negs Rock!

Re: Sinar:from 4x5 to 5x7

You need to get a P1 or 2 back standard. The there is no way to connect (or remove) the lens board system from the front standard. The front standard has indicators on the scale to indicate where "zero" is for the different formats. I have an extra 5x7 for a P1 that is only a clear ground glass. I think I found one with the grid and Fresnel lens for the same price and bought it with the thought in mind that I'd sell the other. Never got around to it. Contact me off list if you're interested. I don't have an extra rear standard to go with it. Sometimes you'll find the rear standard and 5x7 back on ebay. Don't forget you'll need the bellows to go with it. It's a great format and the 8x10 lenses have great coverage, as you can imagine.
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Mark is correct, I have just spent much time and energy researching your question for myself. The P and P2 front and rear standards have a slightly different configuration. The mounting pins on the standard have a small hole through them. The hole in the front standard pin is alligned with the axis of the rail and the hole in the rear pin is perpendicular to the axis of the rail. There are also two chrome roller bearing mounts on the standard that fit into a machined grove in the conversiion frames. The positons are reversed on the front and rear standard. You can change the position of the hole in the mounting pins by removing the two small screws and rotating the pin 90 degrees so the hole will recieve the set screw from the frame locking knob. The problem is that the mounting hole in the frame is off center so when using a front standard as the rear standard the rear standard will not allign with the front standard. So a rear standard must be used with the 5x7 and 8x10 conversion frames.

On the issue of using your Sinar lens boards, I think there are several options. You can mount a Sinar 4x5 frame (removed from the standard) on a lens board for your 5x7 camera. The cover plates on the Sinar frame are easy to remove and the frame can be drilled for attachment screws. A second option is to remove the bellows from an old sinar bellows and epoxy the two plastic frames together. Mount this assembly on a lens board for the 5x7. Attach a Sinar 4x5 frame (removed from the standard) to the assembly and you can mount Sinar lens boards in the attached frame. A third option is to use a Toyo adapter frame that accepts Sinar lens boards for use in Toyo 8x10 view cameras. This is part number 180-607 (8054) In a similar process attach this frame to a lens board that fits the 5x7.

In response to your question about 5x7 optons - Horseman makes a 5x7 frame and ground glass back for use with its view camera system. These are available on Ebay from time to time. These mount on a Horseman rail with a 4x5 front standard and 5x7 bellows. Horseman also has an 8x10 version that has an 8x10 to 5x7 reduction back. In the later models the Horseman back is the same as the Toyo 8x10. Horseman and Sinar use the same lens boards so the lens boards are fully interchangable. The Horseman system weighs about the same as the Sinar system however the Horseman frames can be rotated 90 degrees so the whole assembly lays flat. This is often more convienient for transporting.

I also use a Toyo 810M field camera. This is an all metal 8x10 folding field camera. This is great camera but it does weigh 15 pounds. Toyo offers an 8x10 to 5x7 reduction back, this is the same one that will fit a late model Horseman.

http://www.toyoview.com/Products/810MII/810MII.html

Sorry for the long response, I hope it was helpful

Hi,

just buy a Sinar F2 rear standard with bellows, plus try to find a 5x7 to 4x5 reducing adapter if you want to shoot 4x5. All this can be found occasionally on 'bay.

J.

Thank you all,

Mark, Dennis all is clear now!
    Joerg do you mean I should buy a 5x7 Sinar F2 rear standard, right?

have a great Christmas
    Andrea

Andrea,

Another possibility for you, would be to get a Sinar Norma 5x7 rear standard and bellows. This I did last year, and I'm thoroughly enjoying 5x7.

It would work nicely with your F front standard, and not too expensive on ebay.

Andrea,

Here is a link to the 5x7 Norma brochure:

http://king-platypus.com/sinar/norma/norma5x7.html

Click on a section to enlarge it.

Merry XMAS -Dan

@ Andrea,

yes that is what I mean, the 5x7 F2 rear standard is more sturdy, buy it with corresponding bellows .. and with a reducing adapter you will cover 4x5 and 5x7, and weight is reasonable .. or pick the Norma rear standard if that works.

joerg

Try to find a rear standart, either a dedicated Sinar F(1-2) 5X7, or a P standart with one of those conversion kits that you've seen. I use the latter one, which makes the camera a Sinar C (Combination), i.e. a P back with an F front.
    Finding a 5X7" Norma back standart with bellows isn't a bad idea either. Lots of people still swears by their Normas stating the Norma being the best camera ever built.
    Just keep your eyes open for the opportunity and don't be in too much hurry. You will find something that can build your 5X7 camera in due time.

Happy Holidays...
    Björn

Bjorn I guess Norma would be the cheaper solution, is it right?

One more question (sorry if it's repetitive): is 13x18cm and 5x7inches exactly the same format?

Now I wish to thank everyone here.
    It's just amazing each time to see how many help one can find on this forum.

Merry Christmas to everyone

Andrea