The range of lenses offered by LF manufacturers is baffling to someone coming fr om medium or small format.

Why is it that all the lenses within a particular range of lenses (eg, Super Ang ulon), have roughly the _same_ angle of view with _differing_ image circles? In the 35mm world of course, different lenses have the _same_ image circle and _dif fering_ angles of view.

It seems absurd that a 150mm G-Claron has a really small image circle, just cove ring 4x5, whereas the 305mm G-Claron has a huge image circle which can cover 8x1 0. It would have seemed more sensible if all G-Clarons had the same image circle .

Similarly, Super Angulons range from the 47mm with a very small image circle, to the monster 210mm with a MASSIVE image circle, but roughly the same angle of vi ew.

I'm taking a guess here... Is it because the manufacturers of LF lenses - who do n't sell many compared to 35mm manufacturers, are saving money by just designing just one good lens, and providing the lens in different sizes. i.e. Just taking the design drawings and expanding it to make a longer lens?

Or is there a good reason for this state of affairs from the user's point of vie w? Is it for our benefit or theirs, because it doesn't make a lot of sense to me .