Thread: Fireproof Cabinets for negs?

Fireproof Cabinets for negs?

Can anyone recommend a good fireproof media cabinet that doesn't cost more than my 9880 and still has a good bit of room?

I found one by fireking, but I don't think it's rated well for heat: http://www.firesafestore.com/storagecabinets.htm

It seems like if you want a decent fire rating, it cost 6k and it's tight on interior space :-\

Mainly just want to protect my 4x5 negs and possibly DVD's (backups).

Thanks.

Re: Fireproof Cabinets for negs?

I'm not sure how big you want, but there are a lot of gun safes that are fireproof. A six foot one runs around 1500-4000, depending on brand, etc. They're pretty heavy, but have a pretty high heat rating. You can get the interiors configured for different things than guns, too. (Shelves, etc.) Lots of references on the internet, Fort Knox is one major brand. They have also various dehumidifiers, etc. available for them.

I found a great used safe from about 1900 - fireproof, so well made that it is hard to close because they air cannot get out past the door, and it was fairly cheap - about $500 for an interior capacity of about 12 CF. They could fill the walls with concrete filled with asbestos in those days, making the perfect fireproof safe. Did I mention that it is HEAVY? I was interested in something that would hold up if the house fell on it in a fire - the safe does not do much good if it gets split open. Also a good background for period photographs. Look for a local used safe dealer.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

A friend of mine made one, after studying the ones at the store. He took a regular file cabinet and lined all the exterior surfaces with two layers of sheetrock. He said that's all that was going on in the expesive ones.

Of course it's untested ...

I often considered using an old refrigerator or building fireproofing inside one. I used to photograph a lot of fires and even if the house burned to the ground, the fridge was still standing. Not really sure, however, if it gets too hot inside during the fire.

I have a fire-proof safe (up to 20 minutes or something like that) by Sentry, not for film, but for papers and other valuables. One thing to keep in mind, is that these things tend to hold moisture and need to be openend frequently to air out. You can use dessicants but they only go so far. I'd watch for mold growth on film.
    The only trouble with doin' nothing is you can't tell when you get caught up

Another point to remember is that fire ratings for safes are, I believe, based on how long it takes for the interior to reach the temperature at which paper will spontaneously ignite. Negatives will melt at far lower temps.

Ah, a question I actually know something about.

A refrigerator is unlikely to provide any real protection for negatives.

There are three important parameters to fire safes: whether they are designed for "media" or just paper (for adequate protection of negatives you need a "media" safe), how long they survive a fire, and whether they include security features that attempt to resist unauthorized opening. The vast majority of inexpensive (<$1000) fire safes that you can get a home improvement-type store are for paper only and include security features (albeit usually ineffective ones) that make them look like what you think a safe is supposed to look like.

The only decent inexpensive media-rated container (without bogus security features) for any time rating of which I'm aware is one model made by Fire King. I don't have the model number handy, but it looks like an oversized picnic cooler (with VERY thick walls) and weighs about 75lbs. It has a small capacity inside because of the thick walls, but that comes with the turf for a 1 hour UL-rated media container. If you also want burglary protection, you can put it inside a regular (non-fire) safe. They cost about $350 (but make sure you check the shipping cost before you buy one of these things).