Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Show your bag

Re: Show us your field kit.

Me posing with my tripod at our destination.
    Me carrying camera pack in Yosemite, heading to above destination.
    Camera pack.
    Inside camera pack. I had 4 lenses in it, but now I rarely carry more than three (250/300/480 usually -- but will swap out the 480 for a 210 in close spaces.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails There.jpg   transporting8x10.jpg   PackExterior.jpg   PackInterior.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I used to use the Photobackpacker RPT system in an older REI Evening Star, but now just got the P3, so everything moved into that one a few days ago. The basic arrangement has not changed much, though. On the top (right hand side in the image) is a Gnass Gear pouch (blue) for Readyloads and a Readyload holder - this will switch to Bruce's system once I run out of Readyloads. Below it in several RPT boxes are the Technika (with a 240mm Apo-Ronar inside), a 180mm Apo-Sironar digital and a 350mm Apo-Tele-Xenar. Below the camera is a 500mm Nikkor-T, and in the long box are a Super-Symmar HM 120mm, and two Nikkor-SW's, 90mm (f/8) and 65mm. The larger and higher box at the bottom holds the Pentax digital light meter, a compendium lens shade, pen, cable releases, some laminated notes on optimum f-stop choices. The inside pockets of the front flap hold a Domke filter pouch with six 67mm filters, filter adapter rings, spare batteries, diffuser, a small spirit level, spanner wrench, flat brush, spare cable release tips for the Linhof quick release system, a small tube of glue. Readyload film boxes, the "Black Jacket" dark cloth, rain jacket, etc., go on top of the RPT boxes and/or in the front pocket.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AC-USset-3310.jpg  
    Last edited by Arne Croell; 3-Sep-2014 at 11:07. Reason: Typo

umop episdn

I dearly love my monorail cameras, but there are times they're just not practical nor entirely appropriate to bring on long trips (airline travel).

I also have a tendency to bring way, way too much stuff.

So I made myself simplify things. This isn't a hiking outfit but a long-ways-from-home setup. My field kit consists of a Tamrac shoulder bag. Inside I have a Horseman FA field camera. Three lenses: a Schenider 120mm (newer L model), a Schenider 180mm and a Nikkor 270 telephoto. Six film holders and a single Horseman 6x12 roll film back. A Fuji instant film back for proofs, fun, and the inquisitive passerby. Minolta light meter. Dark cloth, two cable releases, small 8x loupe and a handful of filters round out the kit. Carbon fiber RRS tripod with pan-tilt head is carried separately. A tiny little Panasonic LX5 digital camera is the final addition and completes the photographic setup.

In the past I've missed opportunities because I shot black and white sheet , color sheet, b&w and color roll film all at the same time. A single view would be photographed four or more times without moving the camera. That took a lot of time and didn't allow me to explore or look around as much as I should have. For my field kit I've limited myself strictly to black and white sheet film in the holders, and color transparency roll film in the 6x12 back.

The entire bag below weighs a bit less than eighteen pounds. Less really is more!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FA_Field.jpg  

Drew Wiley

Do you yodel too, Vaughn? I was just counting my packs the other day, as I was stuffing one for the upcoming hike, and trying to repair another. All of mine are
    true external frame vintage backpacks fully suitable for multi-day outings with all necessary gear. The only thing I use a shoulder bag for is casual walks with either P67 or a Nikon. LF gear always goes into a full-sized pack. Much more ergo that way. But once I retire, I'll have to drive up to the "real" redwoods. In the meantime, our second-growth stuff down here still has a lot of opportunities. But this next "camera walk" involves two weeks above timberline, so gotta have every kind of essential in that pack, certainly enough to weather out a real blizzard or two, though I'm semi-optimistically hoping for transient storms, just enough to give some nice clouds and lighting. ... yeah, wishful thinking... but it did happen last year for the first time in five years. On these longer walks I leave behind my Ries and use a CF Gitzo, and lighten the gear in general. Just what I really need.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Do you yodel too, Vaughn? ...
    Of course! It must be the Hawaiian shirt that gave me away!

Actually, the last time I backpacked with the 4x5 (one lens, 5 holders), I took no separate pack for it. Carried the camera on the tripod and worked out of a shoulder bag. Such a fun way to work after hauling an 8x10 or an 11x14 around! Now if I replaced the metal Gitzo Reporter with a carbon fiber pod I could knock a few pounds off the camera gear...no sense putting a 2.5 pound camera (including lens) on a 7 pound tripod -- except that I need the height!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Not fair Vaughn, you have assistants to help carry your equipment.
    It was a pleasure meeting you last month and see your outstanding photographs.

Just about everything from photo backpacker.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pack.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	121214

Taken with my LF ipad.

OK, I'll join in, if only to be the only wheeled case on this thread.
    I really like wheeled cases; working out of one is preferable (to me) than working out of a backpack.
    I bought this in the spring, Lowepro AW 300, and I'm continually amazed by how much I can fit in there.

Toyo 810M with 12" KCE attached
    10" WF Ektar
    14" KCE
    150mm SS XL
    Grandagon 115
    Heliar 30cm wrapped in chamois cloth
    Lens hoods
    Loupe, meter, etc in corner pocket and cable releases and etc in the lid
    And there's room left for more stuff!
    I usually put my dark cloth on top the camera, and have room for three 8x10 holders on top of that, plus the front pocket can take two more holders.
    Tripod goes over me shoulder.

Great case, my favourite so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Curtis View Post
    Not fair Vaughn, you have assistants to help carry your equipment.
    It was a pleasure meeting you last month and see your outstanding photographs.
    Thanks, and it was a pleasure to meet you and your wife!. Those assistants are smart. Once my head goes under the darkcloth, they seem to magically disappear. Oh well, the way back is usually downhill and the pack for the 8x10 is comfortable enough. I do not notice the extra weight of all the captured light in the film holders. Probably because of the reduced weight in food and water by the time I start back.

Transporting my 11x14 is in a hard sided suitcase (military), holders in a laptop shoulder bag and tripod over the shoulder. Not good for long walks/hikes. It has to be pretty special to haul it more than 1/2 mile...lots of special stuff out there, so I tend to haul it farther than I plan.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5676.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	121226

A wheeled cases just won't go where I need to go. I own two. When on a groomed trail I throw my backpack on this. I can work right out of it at a comfortable height. If I need to leave the groomed trail I fold it up and use a bicycle chain lock to chain it out of sight off the trail and head out with just the backpack.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"