Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arista Film Redux

Arista Film Redux

Exposing at ISO 80 and decreasing the development time by 20% made a huge difference. Perhaps allowing the D-76 a day or two to "season" helped. (I wonder if my using RO (pure) water has anything to do with it?)

Now I can see every step on the Kodak scale and the shadows are smooth while the overall density is up. The sharpness is better as well. I can see all this with a loupe.

Anyway, this is a much better starting point. Thanks!

Arista Film Redux

Bill

Put you most recent negatives on a light box. Ask yourself and answer two questions. Is the negative(s) too dense. If so you can increase your working ASA, but don't over do it. You want healthy shadow detail. If your shadow detail is still too weak decrease your working ASA further.

Next question. Is you negative still too contrasty (if you print it on your paper, which I am assuming is approximately grade 2-3)? If so you may need to decrease you development time even further.

If all this is confusing, then, stay with what your doing right now, except for contrasty situations where you can drop your development time another 10% .