Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is this Linhof? Is it good value?

What is this Linhof? Is it good value?

Hi there. Linhof serial number is: 6485243. Lens serial number is: 14 036 999

The guy wants £1500 for it. Looks neat and tidy...all working etc. Anyone think this is a good deal? Anyone know what type of Linhof it is?

Many thanks.

Re: What is this Linhof? Is it good value?

Maybe, and only maybe, it would help to attach a photo or a link, so we could see what you are talking about? Serial numbers don't help as much!
    Juergen

Hi there. Linhof serial number is: 6485243. Lens serial number is: 14 036 999

The guy wants £1500 for it. Looks neat and tidy...all working etc. Anyone think this is a good deal? Anyone know what type of Linhof it is?

Many thanks.

JammyHeff this camera is currently under discussion here:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=30821

Would you mind me asking how you came by this price?
    kev

Hi Kev,

How funny we're looking at the same camera! I just asked the guy straight up what the reserve is! No point beating around the bush with equipment of this nature I feel.

Answers to questions I have asked:

How old? - "I believe it is 5 years old" - looking at your thread it appears this is way out!

Can it take quickload/readyload? - "Yes but you need a Polaroid 54 back"

What is the reserve? - "£1500 or above... That's what it should be worth!"

What's the closest focusing distance with included lens? - "Good question... I've just checked and the lens - fully extended - will focus at a Macro distance to give 1:1 repro. Hope this helps."

The impression I get is that he/she is genuinely selling off their studio equipment. I'm keen to find out if £1500 is a good deal for it. It has been listed twice now so if you're really keen then email him an offer below £1500 and see what happens?

Hope this helps and good luck!

James

Thanks James.... well you have a clear run with the auction I'm out....to pricey for me!
    Regards
    kev

You don't need a Polaroid back for Quickload/Readyload with this or any 4x5" camera, but it is possible to shoot QL/RL in a Polaroid back, if you happen to have one and don't have a QL or RL back. The Polaroid back doesn't have a pressure plate like the others, so it raises some concerns about flatness.

Maximum extension on this camera with the back extension all the way out is about 17.5", so you can figure out how close you can focus with any particular lens from there.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    You don't need a Polaroid back for Quickload/Readyload with this or any 4x5" camera, but it is possible to shoot QL/RL in a Polaroid back, if you happen to have one and don't have a QL or RL back. The Polaroid back doesn't have a pressure plate like the others, so it raises some concerns about flatness.

Maximum extension on this camera with the back extension all the way out is about 17.5", so you can figure out how close you can focus with any particular lens from there.
    I always hesitate to question anything David says but I think the extension # is wrong. I believe it's about 15.5 inches. That's the # Linhof gives in the manual but the manual isn't clear on whether that's with the back out or not so I asked Bob Salomon. He said it was with the back out. However, I don't have a Master Technika any more so I can't measure, maybe my memory is off.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

We had a discussion of that topic somewhere in another thread. The 15.5" figure is without the back extension. I believe it's the same on almost all Technikas--even the pre-war Tech II (I had one and it was about 17.5"). If I recall correctly, there is one version, maybe the Technika Press 4x5" that was based on the III, that has a single rail, and only around 12" extension.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    We had a discussion of that topic somewhere in another thread. The 15.5" figure is without the back extension. I believe it's the same on almost all Technikas--even the pre-war Tech II (I had one and it was about 17.5"). If I recall correctly, there is one version, maybe the Technika Press 4x5" that was based on the III, that has a single rail, and only around 12" extension.
    The loss of brain cells due to profligate living and old age is a terrible thing. I did a quick search and found that you and I have had this same exchange before, in November of last year in fact. That exchange concluded with the following message from me:

"Hi David -I wondered whether that was where you got the 17" number. I thought that I asked that question here or in another forum some years back and Bob Salomon answered by saying the 15" number included the back extension. However, the specs in the "Linhof Practice" book are "maximum bellows extension 15 3/4" and "camera back extension" 1 3/8", implying that the 1 3/8 is in addition to the 15 3/4 so you're probably right."

That was fun. Let's do it again a year from now.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Heh. Same time next year.