Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ramblecrap...does it have a purpose?

George Sheils

Ramblecrap...does it have a purpose?

Found a nice website the other day. Belongs to one RJ Lam. Some very good images.

However, the artist (photographer) statement goes like this:

"In my photographic journey, it is the domain of interiority which I strive to essay and distill within the external world. Interiority and all that goes beyond the self - this is the prism through which the essence of my relationship to the external world is unmasked. It is through personal perspective and organisation that an image is wrought to reveal a weltanschauung of essences, transformed through the love and valorisation of light. Light organises interiority from without and enables a transformation of the external world in dialogic engagement. Thus mere representation and topography yield to an experience of participation with a landscape; a place and the subject itself.":

Can anyone translate this please?

Re: Ramblecrap...does it have a purpose?

Hi George.

I'm personally quite offended, mainly due to my own correspondence with RJ, and his kindness, critique, and encouragement.

I guess what you consider crap is actually a substantial portion of the communication between fine art world people, for want of a better expression.

You may also find that RJ is multilingual and with that in mind his prose may be transliterate.

George Sheils

Ash,

Apologies, my post was not designed to offend anyone. I have no doubt that RJ is a sound individual from what you say and that he is entitled to freedom of speech.

RJ expresses himself (and his talent) very clearly through his images. The above artist statement does not do him justice. It does little to enlighten the majority of viewers as to what really motivates RJ to do what he does so well.

What does anyone else think?

Definitely a bit overdone for my taste.

Request my post be deleted due to being written while suffering chronic indigestion
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Request my post be deleted due to being written while suffering chronic indigestion
    ROFLMAO

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Photographers come up with this sort of BS to try to make their work seem more legit, and thus, more valuable. I find it a real turn-off- the images should speak for themselves- but apparently people buy it, since many photographers sell lots of prints using this technique. I can't comment on RJ Lam, since I haven't checked out his images, but personally I am turned off by this approach.

"Interiority and all that goes beyond the self - this is the prism through which the essence of my relationship to the external world is unmasked. It is through personal perspective and organisation that an image is wrought to reveal a weltanschauung of essences, transformed through the love and valorisation of light."

An acid trip, perhaps?
    Brian Vuillemenot

Doug Dolde

Sure looks like Ramble Crap to me.

Is it the Queen's English, Ash?

Thumbs up Re: Ramblecrap...does it have a purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Vuillemenot View Post
    Photographers come up with this sort of BS to try to make their work seem more legit, and thus, more valuable. I find it a real turn-off- the images should speak for themselves- but apparently people buy it, since many photographers sell lots of prints using this technique. I can't comment on RJ Lam, since I haven't checked out his images, but personally I am turned off by this approach.

"Interiority and all that goes beyond the self - this is the prism through which the essence of my relationship to the external world is unmasked. It is through personal perspective and organisation that an image is wrought to reveal a weltanschauung of essences, transformed through the love and valorisation of light."

An acid trip, perhaps?
    Amen. Let's see the photographs. Less talk and more action.

Quote Originally Posted by George E. Sheils View Post
    Found a nice website the other day. Belongs to one RJ Lam. Some very good images.

However, the artist (photographer) statement goes like this:

"In my photographic journey, it is the domain of interiority which I strive to essay and distill within the external world. Interiority and all that goes beyond the self - this is the prism through which the essence of my relationship to the external world is unmasked. It is through personal perspective and organisation that an image is wrought to reveal a weltanschauung of essences, transformed through the love and valorisation of light. Light organises interiority from without and enables a transformation of the external world in dialogic engagement. Thus mere representation and topography yield to an experience of participation with a landscape; a place and the subject itself.":

Can anyone translate this please?
    O.K. George since no one has stepped up to translate this for you (unless I misunderstood the previous attacks by some responders for translation), let me try to put into plain language what this person is saying.

I paraphrase... In this persons photographic journey he strives to discover and portray his inner being (his psyche, for want of a different word) through his portrayal of the external world. He goes on to state that it is through self discovery and knowledge that he portrays a broad scope of himself by his love and use of light.

He goes on to say that it is his relationship with light, as manifested in the external world, that has enabled an inner organization and that this inner organization enables a new view of the external world through a mutual relationship between his inner self and the external world.

That furthermore, what could simplistically be interpreted as a typical topographic (photographic or outer view) of the external world is rather a continuation of this relationship between his/her inner self and the external world.

I will go on to say, all of the forgoing indicates a person with an advanced understanding of themselves, the world in which they exist, and their rightful place in it. For those who do not understand and wish to learn one may benefit from some reading, study, and hoped for understanding, an overview of Jungian psychology and an overview of the Buddhist orientation to life may serve as a beginning...there is more beyond those two areas but they would serve as a good beginning.

Now it would help, in the future, that some of us could recognize that just because someone uses language beyond our intelligence and understanding does not necessitate the need for a personal attack.

I hope this is what will help you.
    Last edited by Donald Miller; 22-Nov-2007 at 22:32. Reason: State more clearly