Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Berlebach tripods - advice?

Unrequited Relic

Re: Berlebach tripods - advice?

Upon reconsideration, I think you are right about the Berlebach 3032 being light for the requirement. I put the P on the bathroom scale, it weighs in at 14.7Lbs. What a beast. So, time to rethink the prospects, maybe a Bogen 3046 or 3033 can handle the mass. I had been encouraged about using a 3047 head but it's not up to the weight standard, whereas, the 3039 may work Ok.

Not being real spun up on the models and so forth, I am not clear on what the Uni model is, a variant of Berlebach line is my guess.

Meanwhile, thanks for the insight, I have not been around this sort of equipment since 1979. In those days a P would cost about as much as some cars!

Bob

Foamer

I have a medium duty Berlebach but didn't use it once I bought a Gitzo 1325. However, so far this year I have been taking the Berlebach along to put my Shen Hao on. They just go together so nicely. If Berlebach is now making Arca Swiss QR compatible heads, that's just great. I've completely switched all my cameras over to that now. The Gitzo does everything and does it excellently, but the Berlebach remains my best tripod for use in wind. It can be very windy here.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Unrequited Relic

The 1325 appears to be serviceable and, from what I have read, it handles around 26 pounds, probably a lot easier to move around. The downtic is the bounty required to have one. Photography is something I do because I like it. The little iPhone in my shirt pocket is getting way too much of my time

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by AA3NK View Post
    The 1325 appears to be serviceable and, from what I have read, it handles around 26 pounds, probably a lot easier to move around. The downtic is the bounty required to have one.

I've owned a number of tripods in the past. I bought the 1325 about seven years ago, and I'll say this. Might well be the last tripod I ever buy. It's now seen four different cameras come & go. It does everything perfectly, every time, no matter what the conditions.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    I have a medium duty Berlebach but didn't use it once I bought a Gitzo 1325. However, so far this year I have been taking the Berlebach along to put my Shen Hao on. They just go together so nicely. If Berlebach is now making Arca Swiss QR compatible heads, that's just great. I've completely switched all my cameras over to that now. The Gitzo does everything and does it excellently, but the Berlebach remains my best tripod for use in wind. It can be very windy here.

Kent in SD
    Berlebach does make Arca compatible heads. Some are for sale on our factory store.

http://hpmarketingstore.com/index.ph...7rqqtrols292i7

original question from 2007! I need to start paying more attention

Yes, but on the other hand it is quite meaningful to re-visit a discussion on equipment after a few years to see if the choice, in the long term, was good or bad.

For example, I have been using a Berlebach Nr. 8013, 3 sections, plain head without central column for longer than the present discussion (I bought it used-but-like-new from a good friend in Nov. 2003) and 7-1/2 years later I'm still absolutely satisfied and can recommend it without any restriction, at least for the kind of relatively light-weight equipment I use and outdoor pictures I take. Nr. 8013 weights 2.2 kg (4.85 lbs) without head and is rated @10kg (22 lbs) of working load.

The only additions I made are:
    - a solid ballhead
    - 3 rubber inserts, @$.99 each, (designed for metallic chairs) to cover the plastic 'feet'.

I use Nr. 8013, @70% with a light weight 4x5" view camera, for backpacking; and the rest with not-too-heavy medium format equipement, again to be carried in my backpack. I never missed the fact that I have no central column. I had the option with the 3/8" screw, so mounting the ballhead was direct without any threaded insert. If you know in advance which head you'll mount on top of your Berlerlach, do not forget that you can have it factory-fitted with a 3/8" screw as an option.
    The friend from which I bought this tripod had acquired the original Berlebach tripod bag in canvas. This bag has proven to be extremely strong, The only minor complain being that there is no separate accessory pocket to keep various accessories that you always need with your tripod.

If I had to buy a new Berlabach tripod now for any view camera, forgetting about all my previous experience, I think I would certainly consider the option with the built-in ballhead, or levelling head. There are two models, a small one (e.g. Nr. 3032) and a big one (about 100 mm - 4" in diameter ! e.g. ref. UNI 26) for big tripods that I saw on display at the 2010 Photokina in Cologne. The built-in ballhed only adds its radius to the height of the "bare" tripod, so you can add any head on top of it without compromising the stability of the whole ensemble.

I can also say that the Berlebach booth at the 2010 Photokina was impressive !
    Should I say : too many models, too many options ?

Consumers are never satisfied: if you offer them a limited choice, they complain ! If you offer them all the options to satisfy even the most eccentric user, they complain again !

Had one for 4 years, they work, buy it!
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

Hello to all,

I resume this old thread. The models in Berlebach line changed and I need a good advise.
    I would like to substitute my Manfrotto 190 pro with a wooden Berlebach. I will use it with a 4x5" Chamonix and my heaviest lens is a 210/5.6 so all in all a pretty lightweight setup but in the future it could be used with an 8x10 field.
    I think about a model without center column. I have a Manfrotto 410 geared head which I want to keep.
    I do hiking and urban walks.

Thank you very much
    Pressing the shutter is the only easy thing

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto Nania View Post
    Hello to all,

I resume this old thread. The models in Berlebach line changed and I need a good advise.
    I would like to substitute my Manfrotto 190 pro with a wooden Berlebach. I will use it with a 4x5" Chamonix and my heaviest lens is a 210/5.6 so all in all a pretty lightweight setup but in the future it could be used with an 8x10 field.
    I think about a model without center column. I have a Manfrotto 410 geared head which I want to keep.
    I do hiking and urban walks.

Thank you very much
    Columns, tilt columns and top plates are all interchangeable. Just choose the 2 or 3 section one that fits your needs. And weight requirements.

Foamer

I have a fairly heavy Berlebach that has a rising column (that I NEVER use.) It's great for my Chamonix 4x5 but very marginal for my Kodak 2D 8x10. I'm looking at something like a Ries A100 for that.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria