Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tripod head for 4x5 -- recommendations?

Preston Birdwell

Re: Tripod head for 4x5 -- recommendations?

I am using a Kaiser 'Medium' ball head with my Manfrotto 3221WN pod and Tachihara 4x5. It took a little practice along with fine tuning of the tension/drag adjusting knob for me to be able to quickly level the camera. I use an Arca-Swiss plate, as well.

This head is beefy, not too heavy, and ably supports my Tachi with a 300mm. If I remember correctly the cost was about $200.

-PB
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Marc -

Yes, for a direct and lasting solution, get the Linhof.

The Gitzo handles are on such shallow angles that I am afraid that with shortened handles it would be a problem to fit ones hand under the base plate of most field cameras to loosen and tighten the head. Perhaps there are handles designed for other purposes that would solve the problem - but that would drive the price up and could drive the weight up.

Well I'm convinced, see "... get the Linhof" comments.

Quote Originally Posted by timparkin View Post
    There is a UK photographer called Joe Cornish who uses a BH55 ballhead in all the recent pictures I've seen of him (he has mentioned that it's the only ballhead he would use with 54)

Tim
    I think any ballhead can work but you do need to set it up so it has the maximum friction at the point of movement so you can almost push the camera in the three directions you want against the friction.
    Do different ball heads have differnet levels of adjustment of the friction?
    Is this where the rrs one comes into its own?
    Or does it have two way control like the uber arca B2?

Marc

I saw Mr Cornish on Friday and he was bigging up the Manfrotto 410 geared head, although he was suggesting the build quality could be better.

Quote Originally Posted by timparkin View Post
    There is a UK photographer called Joe Cornish who uses a BH55 ballhead in all the recent pictures I've seen of him (he has mentioned that it's the only ballhead he would use with 54)

Tim

Yes the 410 is almost perfect...its fairly compact, fairly light (1.22kg) and gives you total geared control in all the three important directions...but could be better built.
    In fact I'm very surprised no other manufacturer makes something similar.

It works perfectly for a dslr in architectural work and also for a 54 for all work...its just not as light and compact as some of the ball heads/low profile heads...but for anything but long hike work I think its worth the extra weight...but unfortunately I also do lots of long hike, top of the mountain walk shoots so really am also looking for something lighter and more compact than does an equally good job.

I hope some of this is usefull to the O.P.

Marc

thought I'd post this picture showing the acratech against the 410 geared head in cas eit's helpfull.

Isn't it difficult to do precise movement with a ball head like the actatech? That's what I like about the 410 and why I'm pretty much sold on the idea of one. It is a bit weighty though for long hiking.

I thought you were an ardent Tiltall devotee, Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by uniB View Post
    Isn't it difficult to do precise movement with a ball head like the actatech? That's what I like about the 410 and why I'm pretty much sold on the idea of one. It is a bit weighty though for long hiking.
    Completely agree.
    That is why as I say I use the 410 wherever possible and am currently looking for a replacement lightweight (ballhead) for my acratech for the really long trips, and dslr use.

Marc

My favorite is the Bogen 410 geared head for architecture for the precise, methodical, leveling and the 468MG Hydrostatic Ball Head with RC4 Rapid Connector for quick draw landscape. It is lighter and super fast to set up for landscape and I don't need the leveling precision. Both will hold a 4x5 with a long lens effortlessly.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"