Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: First Chamonix Shoot Out

Re: First Chamonix Shoot Out

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Calahan View Post
    Sounds like "morning" which is up to interpretation, but it sure ain't 10 AM.

Depending on how you wish to photograph the building, perhaps before dawn so one can catch the first rays of dawn?
    What time is dawn? Where will the sun rise?

Some may choose other angles. you cannot photograph inside the Hall.

Asher

Quote Originally Posted by PViapiano View Post
    Hey...that's great!

I might be able to come. I'm actually working across the street at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion the night before, rehearsing Mozart's Don Giovanni.

I documented the construction of Disney Hall (including the interior) from 2000 - 2003 BF (before film), albeit with a dSLR. I've had a little site up since the start of the project here: http://home.pacbell.net/viapiano/gehry/gehryindex.html

This photo was made from the roof of the parking structure you're meeting at.

It is an amazing work of engineering and design...and still my favorite building in LA. It has such a presence...and I'm lucky enough to work there regularly in my capacity as guitarist for the LA Philharmonic!

Maybe I'll see everyone down there. I'd love to make some 4x5 images of it, in fact I was thinking that tonight as I was looking at it after dark.

Hi Paul,

What instrument do you play. I too have tried to document Walt disney concery Hall from the outset. Also we have a collection of pretty interesting pictures by different local photographers on my website here . My wife and I are pasionate about the L.A. Philaharmonic and this is the site I brought and suprised Hugo with to test his 7x17" Chamonix, which is in itself a beauty in its own right!

Not only is Frank Gehry's building magnificent, but it really is the product of vision, purpose, sedication and hard work of a core of dedicated philanthropists and leaders who guided this project against almost impassable obstacles. The orchestra is world class. The Professional organization behind it is truly at the pinnacle of success and the results of a clear vision and single minded devotion to the goal. This is essential what we need as photographers, musicians and any great human endeaver.

So for me this shoot is particularly heartfelt. Add to that the chance of meeting a bunch of guys dedicated to LF and ULF is too much for me to miss!

I look forward to meeting you!

Asher,

Can you ask Wendy to recommend a nice place for breakfast/brunch nearby for 8-10 people? It looks cloudy today and the sun won't come out till 10am according to the weather forecast. If tomorrow is the same, we are going to have a late breakfast/brunch.

Thanks for introducing to this beautiful place!
    Hugo

Big Negs Rock!

I may be able to make with my Sinar in 4x5 configuration.
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Woods View Post
    I may be able to make with my Sinar in 4x5 configuration.
    Hi Mark,

I visited your website and really enjoyed your commercial work and how you seemlessly transitioned from one client to another. The that was then and this is now theme from the beginning transports us through the rest of your tour! Kudus!

Think of a wide lens! what will you have? Do you have a Graflok back? That would intereset me?

Asher

Big Negs Rock!

Thank you Asher. I took a quick look at the site you administer, and I book marked it. Very cool. I'm still trying to get my larger tripod to work right before I make a decision. But I do have a 4x5 Graflok back.
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
    What time is dawn? Where will the sun rise?

Some may choose other angles. you cannot photograph inside the Hall.

Asher

Hi Asher:

Sunrise tomorrow in LA will be at approximately 06:35 and 96.4 degrees magnetic heading. By 08:00, the sun will be at a 15 degree azimuth and at 109.6 degrees magnetic. 10:00 you have a 30 degree azimuth and 135 degree magnetic.

Enjoy the shoot everybody, and look forward to hearing all about it!

Jack
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Dave Karp

I have been informed that my plan to run downtown for a quick hello and leave home at 7:15 a.m. will not get us to west L.A. in time to register for the walk.

Will some of you really be there at 6:00 a.m.? I might still try to come by sans camera, say hi meet a few of you, and then get home a bit before 7:00.

Hugo:
    Which parking lot are you referring to? 2nd Street or Grand Ave?
    According to the WDCH web site, the parking lots open at 7:00 am on Sat. and Sun.

My wife and I plan on being there but only as onlookers (if you do not mind) and plan on having Dim Sum at the Empress Pavilion restaurant in China Town.

Looking forward to meeting you tomorrow, Howard Tanger

lotusmk9@adelphia.net

Howard,

I was talking about the parking lot facing the concert hall. Thanks for the reminder. Maybe I should arrive at 7 when it opens.

Dim Sum is not a bad idea at all. We will see.

Hugo